Monday, May 13, 2019

April Book Review

Welcome to this month's book review.  I read four very different books this month. I liked them all and it was sort of nice to have such a variety.


I stumbled up on this first one.  I was not familiar with the author at all.  But Amazon thought I might like it....and they were right.



Bluff by Michael Kardos. So this book starts off with a amateur magician trying to make a living doing various parties and engagements.....she decides to write a feature on how card cheats use magic to win money....which leads to a meeting of another female.....which leads to them.....well I don't want to spoil it.  But let me just say.  This one is worth the read.  For one it was a refreshing break from what everyone seems to be writing about these days....no one went missing, it wasn't a who done it... it was really a subject I had never read about.  It is engaging, well written and will keep you glued until the last page.  Maybe everyone else in the world has read this one and I am just late.  But I am surprised it is not all over social media.  Highly recommend.  It was a fun read.

Next up, a family saga



The Last Romantics by Tara Conklin. I really liked this one too.  This family is plunged into a different world when the father suddenly dies.  Every single family member assumes a new role and no matter how old they get and what transpires around them, they stay in those roles.  I can totally see how this happens.  I have totally seen this happen.  The characters are well developed and you come to love and pull for each one of them.  But life, yep life, gets the best of some of them and smiles on others.  I could see reading this on vacation.  It was not too heavy but super entertaining.

Now if there is chick-lit....there is also a such thing as bro-books.  That is what I read next



Act of Valor by Tom Clancy.  This is a great story about Navy Seals.  They are incredible, heroic, brave and admirable.  I don't have to tell you the plot....they go in they rescue, they save, they kill, they....well you get the point.  It was a good read but it is definitely a manly tale.

I concluded with



I Found You by Lisa Jewell.  This is an interesting story about a random man being discovered on a beach.  He has no idea who he is or how he got there.  Then the story flips to a different city where a young wife is looking for her husband who has suddenly gone missing.  As you can imagine the story lines totally inter-twine....but it is definitely in a surprising way.  I didn't really figure it out so I enjoyed the story.  Another good read.

Keep the book suggestions coming.  I love knowing I am going into a great read from the start.

No comments:

Post a Comment