Sunday, March 26, 2017

Going to the Grocery Store.....wooo hoooo!

I know this is not one of most people's favorite things.  It is totally one of mine. 1) It's shopping and I will just about shop for anything. 2) It is a chance to be creative - you take a bunch of random things and make a meal out of it. 3) They have this self-service soda machine where I can get crushed ice and a coke and drink it as I peruse the aisles......and then there's refills!

So you can see it is a happy place for me.  But I do a few things to make it a little easier.  First, I use emeals.com.  It is a great website where you sign up, choose your grocery store, choose what kind of meals you like (classic, low carb, gluten free, weight watchers, etc) and precious little meal fairies prepare not only a plan for 7 meals, but also an itemized grocery list and meal plan instructions.

I have been using this service for almost 9 years.  It costs $5/month if you pay for 12 months.

Now let me ask you something - is it worth $1.25 a week for someone to hand you an itemized grocery list, with recipes? I'm going with a yes here!

You can sign up and try it here for 2 weeks free. (this is my personal referral link)

I am currently using Kroger.  I like the selection, it is close to my house and there's that soda machine.

So the one thing about Kroger is you have to have a Kroger Valued Customer card.  But don't worry it is linked to your phone number so you can always type that in and not carry that card around.  Now when I say you have to have a card.....I'm serious.  Kroger can be a little gangsta without it.  They will literally say with a straight face - these cookies are $3.99 with card OR $125.99 without a card.  Ok, that may be a slight exaggeration but there is usually a significant difference in the two prices.

Once you have the Kroger card you can register online or with the app and be able to load digital coupons and save even more.  Plus they do a Friday Freebie that I load to my card and pick up when I go shopping.  Yeah, I don't care what it is I'll take it.  One time it was a Reese's Cup and I ate it on the way home while drinking my refilled Coke ---Score!!!! Double Score!!!!!

Then there's the gas points- now those come in handy.  I usually buy my gas at Kroger because I usually have 20 to 30 cents off per gallon.  To help the cause I also buy all my gift cards here.  You get a lot of points for those little jewels.

And Kroger has this app that you can put on your phone.  When you are in the store and you can't find an item, you can type it in the app and it will tell you what aisle the item is located.  Girls, if you send your husband to Kroger please get them the app.  I cannot tell you how many times I have had the following conversation:

Mystery husband: Excuse me, do you know where the Velveeta is?
Me: Yes, aisle 7 just down from the spaghetti sauce
Mystery husband: What? Shouldn't it be refrigerated?
Me: Well, only after you open it.  Before then it is ok just on the shelf
Mystery husband: But it's cheese and cheese should be refrigerated
Me:  Well........have a good day. (I just can't break it to these trusting souls....it's a "cheese product")

But the app actually happened to help me a few weeks ago when I had to buy Tahini.....that was a first and the app knew exactly where it was located.

Kroger also allows you to order on line and pick up your groceries for a $4.95 fee.  I have done this maybe 3 times when the weekend was packed and I knew it would be a struggle to make it.  Occassionally, it's worth 5 bucks to ease a little stress.  And yes I know it is free at Wal Mart and if Wal Mart is your jam.....go for it (you can use emeals there too).


See you in the aisles..... I will be the one with the clipboard and the coke!

2 comments:

  1. We are Kroger kindred spirits!!! Back in my single days, most Fridays were spent having out at the soda machine. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually hate grocery shopping but you have made me excited! I love fountain drinks! lol!

    ReplyDelete