Monday, September 11, 2017

August Book Review -

This was a good book month for me.   I hope it was for  you as well.  Here's what I read this month.

First up, Born a Crime by Trevor Noah



I am not a late night person which apparently is when Trevor Noah is on TV but I have seen clips of him on morning talk shows.  This book is about his life in South Africa.  I, of course, am familiar with apartheid but to hear it told from someone who lived in it and through it is really interesting.  I learned all kinds of things plus it is funny.....very funny.  I will warn you he uses a lot of colorful language but in the way comedians tend to do which somehow doesn't come across as so offensive....if that makes any sense.  I really enjoyed  this book.  It has some tough parts in it but it is told from a perspective of perseverance not defeat.  I found it to be inspiring and entertaining.  Highly recommend.

Then I read The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton



During a picnic at her family’s farm in the English countryside, sixteen-year-old Laurel Nicolson witnesses a shocking crime, a crime that challenges everything she knows about her adored mother, Dorothy. Now, fifty years later, Laurel and her sisters are meeting at the farm to celebrate Dorothy’s ninetieth birthday. Realizing that this is her last chance to discover the truth about that long-ago day, 

This takes you through Laurel's quest to piece together what really happened by exploring her mom's past.  It toggles between life in the 1940's and today.  Well written and kept me interested from page one all the way to the end.  And I love the language and the phrasing used.  I cannot tell you how many times I have wanted to say " well we better to get on with it shall we" since reading this book.  I recommend this one too.  I think you will enjoy it.

I finished the month with A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman



I listened to this one as an audio book and was glad I did.  When I saw this book in stores I always read the title as A Man Called Ahhve......pronouncing the name like ahhh but it is actually pronounced like the double o sound in moon...and two syllables.....oova.  Ok, I thought that was interesting but so was the story.  I am going to be honest the first 4 chapters I thought I was not going to make it.  But I am so glad I stuck with it.  Wow. What a story.  It turned out great.  It may be one of my favorite books.  It has tons of dry humor and such interesting ways of describing people and events.  Give this one a try.  It is worth the first four chapters.

August was truly a good book month.  I am gearing up for what is hopefully a good September.

Enjoy a good book, ladies, and then share with me so I can do the same.

Take Care.

No comments:

Post a Comment