Monday, March 12, 2018

February Book Review

It is book review day.  I hope you are reading some good stuff.  Here is a look at what I read in February......Spoiler Alert - there are some good ones.



A Life in Parts by Bryan Cranston. You may remember Bryan Cranston from his many television roles.  He is probably most known for Malcolm in the Middle and Breaking Bad.  I never watched either of these shows but still found him interesting on late night talk shows.  Plus I am just very interested in people's lives and how they got to where they are #noseyrosey.  So I decided to give his autobio a spin.  I enjoyed it a lot.  Now he speaks very candidly and by candidly I mean there's a good bit of cursing.  But such an interesting life and path to where he is today.  I enjoyed the book.....I may go back and watch Breaking Bad now.



The Things We Keep by Sally Hepworth is a very interesting book about early onset Alzheimers, assisted living and suicide.  Sounds wonderful and cheery, right? Well it is actually very good.  It does a lot of switching between past and present so you are constantly learning things are not always as they seem.  It gives quite an interesting look at life from the Alzheimer patient's perspective which I found extremely interesting.  Now while it is dealing with all these heavy topics it still entertains and keeps you interested.  There are funny parts, some extremely sweet love stories and some people who you just want to cuddle.  It was a good read and I enjoyed it very much. I enjoy Hepworth books and this one did not disappoint.

Next up, the continuation of a great series


So remember this series has 17 books and this is number 2 for me.  It always takes about a chapter and half for me to settle into these.  They do quite a bit of set up geographically and geography is a bit of a challenge for me.  But once I get kind of settled in and all my characters reestablished in my mind, I can't get enough of these.  Literally my heart is racing as we move through the ins and outs.    Even though this is book 2 of 17 it is very relevant to some things going on right now.  I was again a fan and plan to continue with the series.  If you like deep relationships, lots of action and a bit of suspense with a handful of drama, join me in reading this series.



A Case of Need by Michael Crichton was actually written in 1968 when Crichton was writing under another name.  It deals with some very touchy topics like abortion, race issues and the unspoken code of doctors protecting doctors.  It has some tough language in it about all these things. The story is good.  It is not predictable and kept my interest until the very end.  Basically a well known medical family operates in a practically untouchable manner until one of their own family members suffers following an abortion.  Umm these are hard topics so as you can expect reading about them can be too.  Well written.....and makes you hope for a friend like John if you ever found yourself under arrest.

So that's what I worked off my stack last month but I still have quite a nice stack waiting.  If you are reading something good, let me know.  I am always looking for a good book and we have to look out for each other.  Otherwise, we can waste a lot of time buying and reading bad books......and none of want that to happen, right?

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment