Wednesday, June 6, 2018

May Books


Today is book review day.  If you are headed on a road trip or to the beach, you might find something here you like.  First up,

The Whiskey Sea


The Whiskey Sea by Ann Howard Creel.  This is my first Ann Howard Creel book and I really liked it.  The book is about a remote town where most of the folks make their living harvesting from the sea.  When prohibition hits, fishing boats become transportation to get liquor to the people.  It is a dangerous business. While all that is going on people fall in love, fall sick and fall into mayhem.  It is also a story of moving on from the past, forgiveness and just how far a person will go for their dreams.  I enjoyed it and plan on reading another of her books soon.

The next author is not a stranger to me.....in fact she is one of my faves

The Great Alone: A Novel

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah.  Now I am a huge Kristin Hannah fan and this one did not disappoint.  The backdrop of the story is Alaska at its finest.  The characters, however, consist of a husband and wife with very interesting definitions of love and their young daughter who grows up in the midst of it.  There are some tough subjects especially mental illness and abuse but the story is wonderfully told and engaging.  Another successful read from Ms. Hannah.

If I had to name one book this month as the one I talked about the most, it is this next one.....



Coming Clean by Kimberly Rae Miller.  First, you all know how I love a good memoir.  Honestly, you cannot make this stuff up.  Kimberly Rae Miller tells her story about growing up in a household of hoarding parents.  Mind you, this is all way before hoarding was called hoarding and a whole television show was made around it.  I have told more people about snippets of this book, because I just couldn't believe what I was reading at times.  I totally enjoyed reading this and highly recommend it.

The last book of the month is long but I think worth it...




A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. Now this one was a totally out of the box read for me and I loved it.  There are things in this book that I absolutely love like good manners, refinement, honor and finely prepared and served meals.  Basically an aristocrat is sentenced to spend the rest of his life in this hotel.  If he steps foot outside of it, he will be arrested.  The relationships he develops and the life he makes there is beyond entertaining and the ending very unexpected.  Looking for something a little different to read.....give this one a try.


Hope you are reading some good stuff too.  Thank you to those of you who send me an email and let me know about the good things you are reading.

Talk to you on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment