Monday, October 7, 2019

September Book Review

Welcome in, ladies, to our online book club.  Thanks for sending me recommendations.  Thanks also for telling me what to stay away from.  I had a good run this month.....please allow me to share what I read.

First up,


Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren

Ok, the title really drew me in on this one.  I like LOVE and I like WORDS.  Felt like a winner.  Essentially these two kids bond over their love for reading.  They both find each other at a time when they each need a friend.  Now the story is lovely.  It is well developed and I connected and felt for the characters.  But.....I am so sorry there has to be a but.......but there has to be one.  There is so much sex in this book.  It has undertones of it.  Very explicit detailed scenes and oh there is just sooooo much of it.  Which is really a shame because the plot and story line are really good and to me this book would have been so much better without all of that.  It just didn't need it.  I do think it is worth the read.  There's so much more and a really good story.  I just want you to be prepared.  You'll love the story....and who am I to judge....you may love it all.

The Castaways: A Novel by [Hilderbrand, Elin]

The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand

What can you say about a great Hilderbrand book.  The setting is good.  The plot is meaty and it is, of course, well written.  The first several chapters really take focus.  There are lots of characters....lots.  And I almost needed to draw myself a little diagram about who was married to who, who dated who, who was related to who......you get the idea.  So just be prepared to concentrate until all of that comes together and then it turns into a great story of friends, family, love and loss.




Slightly South of Simple by Kristy Woodson Harvey

I LOVED this one!!!!! So definitely if you only read one of these, pick this one.  Essentially, a mom is living a nice quiet life with her own little routine. Then because of various life events all three of her adult daughters and their kids end up back in the house with her again.  I loved all these characters.  I loved the southern speak.  It is a great easy read but has substance and humor.  It truly is the perfect kind of book for me.  The best part is there are two more in the series.....and yes, yes, yes.......I cannot wait to read them.



Make or Break by Catherine Bennetto.

I really enjoyed this one too.  One sister is single and needs help with her two kids.  The mom and other sister spend all their free time helping her out.  They have built quite a little safe scenario living like this.  Well simple events like a retreat and a vacation shake up life as they have known it.  There are big secrets, self-discovery and some really likable and fun characters.  I was invested in this one from page one to the end.  Definitely worth the read.  I think you will enjoy this one too.

I hope you are reading good stuff.  If you read any of these, let me know.  I would love to hear what you think of them.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment