Monday, July 24, 2017

Paint Class Review

We signed up for a class called Shibori at Art & Soul on Whitesburg Drive.  It was a class to teach us to dye flour sack napkins with Chalk Paint.  Apparently, you can pretty much cover anything with Chalk Paint.  The owner/instructor Kim showed us all the paint colors and had each of us select two colors we wanted to work with.


I chose these two harvest colors in hopes of using my napkins this fall.

She then took us through how to fold our napkins to get different results.  You could pretty much be as creative as you so desired.  Several of the ladies used a different folding technique for each of their napkins.  I went with the simple square fold for all of mine, but did vary the dipping a bit and still got quite a variation that I really loved.

Here's all my napkins neatly folded and ready for dipping.



We dipped each one in a chalk paint mixture and hung them out to dry.  We then heat set them by ironing them.

My four turned out like this



These were done with a burgundy and a gold.


These with a red and green


These with a gold and pink


These with pink and a red


And these with a blue and a green



How you folded and dipped determined the pattern and how much white remained showing.  They all turned out so differently but beautifully.  When we got them home we put them thru the dryer to further heat set them, gave them a rinse in the sink and then ran them thru the washer and dryer.  They can be used as napkins, a table square or even sewn into pillows.  It was a lot of fun to spend a Saturday morning learning something new and hanging out with fun ladies.

This is my second class at Art & Soul and I have been so pleased with both of them. I hope to take many more and learn lots of new things.......let me know if you are interested in joining me next time and I will tell you when we sign up again.

In addition to this being a wonderful place to take classes and learn, this is a super cute store.  They sell bedding, home decor, art, jewelry, candles and much more.  If ever you are looking for a cute, unique gift idea I highly recommend checking out Art & Soul.  I will be featuring some of their offerings in upcoming posts to help you complete that Christmas list.

Tomorrow is July 25th.....WRAPPING DAY......so come back Wednesday and see the progress we made in getting Christmas gifts wrapped and ready for this year's celebration.

Talk to you on Wednesday!




No comments:

Post a Comment