Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Turns out it was more of an honor for me.......

A few weeks ago I had the chance to attend a program that was slated to serve two purposes
      1) A reunion for all those who attended Greenbriar Junior High School
and
      2) Recognize the contributions of Ernest Campbell, former teacher at Greenbriar Junior High

I guess I should start by explaining that Greenbriar was a segregated junior high school.  This school served students from the 1940's thru the late 1960's.

This, of course, was all before my time.  So at this event I only knew my family members, however, it was quite enjoyable to sit back and watch old friends approach each other with gasps, hugs and many "is that really you" exclamations.

You see when integration came on the scene these students parted ways and were spread about Limestone County. So what a great idea to bring everyone together to reminisce, to celebrate, to reunite.
It was a wonderful program where person after person got up and shared stories of long walks to school, meager lunches, outhouses, strict discipline and high expectations.

While segregation may seem ages ago.  It is not.  I, myself, am only one generation removed. My parents, my aunts and uncles not only attended these schools, they also began their teaching careers there.

Which brings me to the reason I was attending.....that former teacher those students were honoring - well he is my uncle.  





I grew up with him in my life.  We always lived near him and his family. So when all these former students spoke about him they said things like

* He really cared about us
* He expected us to learn
* He taught us more than academics, he taught us how to be decent people
* He included me
* He was the first person, outside of my family, who ever showed interest in me
* He bought me shoes because my family could not afford them
* He gave so much to us

All these things I know to be true.  He is everything they said and more.  Now my uncle is a very humble man and I know he felt he was only doing what needed to be done - the right thing.  You know what we could use more of in this world?

People who do what needs to be done simply because it is the right thing to do.

So this evening turned out to be quite an honor for me because it reminded me how fortunate I am to have grown up surrounded by a family like this.  Sometimes we take things for granted.  Sometimes we think our experiences are everyone else's experiences.  Sometimes we fail to adequately appreciate our blessings.

Well just as Ernest Campbell was a blessing to these students, he has also been a blessing to me.

So I wanted to say here today

Uncle Ernest,

Thanks for caring about me.
Thanks for expecting great things from me.
Thanks for being a part of teaching me to be a decent person.
Thanks for always including me.
Thanks for being interested in me.
Thanks for giving me so much.

It is an honor to have you in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment