Monday, July 31, 2017

The Challenge of Love

Last week was an exceptionally busy week.  I found myself double booked on a couple of occasions and triple booked at one point.  So, yes, that adds stress.  Yes, that takes me a bit out of my ability to take things in stride, to smile in spite of and unfortunately to let my light shine as it should.

I had the opportunity to teach some children at my church in a Creative Workshop where we taught them Biblical principles and then did a creative activity to bring the idea home.  Another lady in my church birthed the idea and asked if I would help out.  One of the sections I had the opportunity to teach was on Joy.  Seems simple enough, right?  There are lots of Bible verses on  rejoicing and being joyful all throughout the Bible........like these for instance:

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

When anxiety was great within me,
your consolation brought me joy. Psalm 94:19

A person finds joy in giving an apt reply—
and how good is a timely word! Proverbs 15:23

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  James 1:2-3

fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.  For the joy set before Him He endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2



Ahhh, that last verse.  When we read that last verse together we talked about all the things Christ endured on the cross, the pure hatred thrown at Him, the physical attacks, the emotional attacks, the beatings, the hostility, the anguish beyond our ability to comprehend.....yet He endured because of the joy set before Him, because of  His Father's will and love for us, because He would not respond in kind to those who treated Him so horrifically.  He would not become His accusers and attackers.  He would not change who He was even though He was immersed in a situation of hatred, lies and injustice.

So I am teaching the kids, talking to them about knowing who you are and how you want to treat people.  We are talking about how some kids are mean and pick on them, how groups make fun of other groups, how they are sometimes the subject of unwarranted hatred, lies and injustice.  And I am telling them to remember how Christ would not allow anyone, anything or any circumstance to change Him, how we need to behave like that, how we need to love in spite of, when we don't think the person has earned it or deserves it we should still love.....

and then the truth of the situation hits my heart 

who really needs this lesson? is it these kids? is it me?

I am afraid the answer is both.  I was speaking to myself as much as I was speaking to them.  It is not easy.  There are challenges in always responding with love.  But clearly something we should all prayerfully aspire to.  I often fall short here.  I am a lover of justice and I also mistakenly think I have some right to make the just/unjust determination.

Thankful for the opportunity to teach God's word.  After all, I am my best student.  No one learns more than I learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment