Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Black History Month

In honor of Black History Month I wanted to mention a couple of things.

First, it is a tradition in the African American community to have speech, poster and essay contests in the month especially around the works of Martin Luther King, Jr. But I wanted to highlight this particular student and his win in his local contest.

So I already know many of you will wonder why not feature one of the many impressive young African American students instead.  Well here is why - we as a community teach our kids about this important part of history, we talk about it, we make sure the kids understand it, we make sure they embrace it and respect it.  But you know when this "dream" can become a reality? When it is taught, talked, understood and respected by ALL races.

It takes us all.  Women and men needed to stand up for women's rights.  All races fought hard for civil rights.  To keep things moving forward, children of all races are needed to embrace and make true the dream of equality. So I love this young boy delivering this passionate speech.

Secondly, I wrote last February about my personal black history.  If you are interested, you can read that post here.  It is about my dad and is one of my favorite things I have written.

Lastly, I wanted to offer up to you some of my favorite movies about black history.  These are super entertaining, inspiring and educational.  Worth carving out some time and watching:

Selma - The soundtrack from this movie is phenomenal.




This documentary, Slavery by Another Name, originally aired on PBS in 2012 and is certainly worth the watch




It is only about an hour and a half.  You can watch it here.

Lastly, Red Tails - The Tuskegee Airmen



This one is amazing, emotional, and very emotional. Through the whole movie you have to keep reminding yourself that this happened.  People actually did these things.  Men made these choices and bravely walked this path.  Amazing!

These are just a few of my favorites.  Let me know if you have other suggestions.

Enjoy, my friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment