Monday, August 27, 2018

Back to School Meal - Part 2

I shared one of my favorite, go to recipes with you last Monday.  If you missed it, click here.

Today, I am sharing another one of our favorites.  I think everyone I know makes this one.  Anytime I mention it people usually say "oh yes, we make that too but I had forgotten all about it".  Well for some of you perhaps an introduction to others of you just a reminder

Poppy seed Chicken

Here's how I do it

I cook 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast in a crock pot for 6-7 hours.  Once the chicken is cooked, I shred it or chop it.....just depends on the mood I am in. The goal is to have approximately 2 cups of cooked chicken.

Mix sour cream, cream of chicken, add cooked chicken and place in a casserole dish.  Crunch up Ritz crackers on top and drizzle with butter, sprinkle on poppy seeds.  Cook in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.  Serve over warm rice.

If you want to prepare for the freezer, do all the above steps except don't bake it.  Just freeze it after you assemble it.  When you are ready to cook it, allow it to thaw in refrigerator and then bake.

To send to college I bundle it with a pouch of microwave rice.  I write the preparation directions directly on the pan so she never has to wonder about how to make it work.

Here's the full recipe
Poppy seed Chicken
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 sleeve of Ritz crackers
8 oz. sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 tsp. poppy seeds

Cook chicken (either in crock pot on low for 6-7 hours or boil in a pot with water for 20-30 minutes until done)
Shred or chop cooked chicken
Mix sour cream, cream of chicken and cooked chicken.
Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray
Spread mixture in casserole dish
Crush the Ritz crackers and sprinkle on top
Drizzle with melted butter
sprinkle with poppy seeds

Freeze at this step for a later meal or bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes until bubbly for a right now meal.  Serve over warm rice.

This goes together so quickly and is absolutely delicious. If you have never tried it....you should.  If you have tried it....go for it again!

Oh and don't forget we are in our last week of August so don't forget to complete your Great Things in '18 challenge for the month.....read the details by clicking here.

I hope you have the best week!!!!

See you back here on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment