Wednesday, August 15, 2018

July Book Review

This month was a good month of books.  I have one semi-inspirational, one thriller, one semi-suspense and one light hearted, fun read.

Here is what I read in July.  First up



Bread & Wine by Shauna Niequist.  I really enjoyed this book.  Basically Shauna tells her life story but weaves in the food she recalls from various times.  Does that sound weird? It is not.  It is a great little read.  Because just think about how many special occasions revolve around food.....lots of them.  She tells of good times, hard times and everything in between.  Plus she shares some good recipes.  It is just a pretty book, well written and very entertaining.

I then I went to something a lot more emotionally taxing



Beartown by Fredrik Backman.  I am for sure a Fredrik Backman fan.  The first book I read by him was A Man Called Ove.  So I am always excited to get my hands on another.  Now this one revolves around a town that is absolutely obsessed with hockey. I am not a hockey fan, but I loved this book.  Here is the only warning - make a list of everything you would never want to happen to your kid or things you would never want a kid of yours to do......all of that is going to happen in this book.  So just brace yourself.  But the stories of the families, the friendships, the loyalty and yes the betrayal kept me turning pages and totally involved in the story.  The best news is there is a part two!!! Thank you, Fredrik, you are the best!

This next one was perfect to let me catch my breath



The Secret, Book & Scone Society by Ellery Adams.  Miracle Springs is where many people come for healing of hurts and things gone wrong.  Four residents think there is something amiss with a new housing development in their town and form a friendship and a secret society to try to figure things out.  In the process each of them discovers they have their own past to heal from and together they can do that too.  A very enjoyable light read. This one is also a part of a series and I look forward to reading more with these characters


After such a light and easy read I jumped into this......and shew nelly!



The Wife Between Us by Hendricks and Pekkanen. The plot of this one is so complex that I would be afraid to try to tell you about it for fear of giving something critical away.  I will say this....  I LOVED this book.  Usually when I am reading a book, I am thinking who else would like it......I think you ALL will.  It is very well written and is certainly in the running for my favorite book of 2018.  Read it. Then call me and let's talk about it.

I hope you are reading some great things too.  I am very excited that it is ALMOST time to start reading Christmas and Holiday books!  If the temps ever drop below 80, I am totally heading toward snow set Christmas stories.

See you back here on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment