Monday, March 11, 2019

February Book Review

I only read three books in February but they were all good and quite a variety so hopefully you will find something you like.

First up



The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson.  Now this one was very interesting. Two people meet in the airport while waiting on their flight.  They chat, they agree to make it interesting by telling each other the complete truth. Well Ted talks about his unhappy marriage and jokingly says he would like to kill his wife.  Ok, maybe this happens a lot.  I don't know, but the difference is the lady he is speaking with replies that she would like to help him do just that.  From there just hang on.  This is very well written and will keep you guessing until the very end. If you enjoyed The Wife Between Us, Something in the Water and The Girl on the Train, I think you will enjoy this one!

Next up,



Small Town Rumors by Carolyn Brown. Sometimes after a psychological thriller I need a little brain cleanser which this book totally is.  A marriage falls apart, a girl returns home to her parents, her parents are rich and exclusive, she doesn't want to be.  You can guess the ending of this book when you read the back cover summary.  But sometimes you need that.  It is a sweet little predictable story.

And then the last one




Becoming by Michelle Obama.  You know I love a good memoir.  I usually read these and think - oh my I had no idea.  I didn't have that reaction with this book.  There weren't any big surprises or revelations for me but still interesting to hear her life in her own words.  I am fairly certain I will never be plunged into being the first lady and I gotta tell you.....thank goodness.  That is a tough gig for sure.

And here is why we only have three books this month.  I started this one

We're Going to Need More Wine: Stories That Are Funny, Complicated, and True

I made it to Chapter 3 and .......I RETURNED IT! Yep, not only did I not finish it, I wanted my money back.  I have always enjoyed Gabrielle.  I think she is pretty.  On Good Morning America she seems fun, pleasant, easy to chat with.  But oh my....Gabby,.....the language......the subject matter......the language.  I was actually shocked.  I just didn't see her like this.  At one point she says something about having a good publicist who helps her maintain a clean reputation......does your publicist know about this book????? Does your mother????? Maybe if you can push past the first 3 chapters it becomes insightful and entertaining.  I don't know.  I won't know. No ma'am, Ms. Gabrielle, no ma'am.

Surely I am not the only one who has ever returned a book gone wrong.

That's just my take.....hope you are reading some good stuff.  As always let me know.

Have a great week.

1 comment:

  1. Appreciate your reviews so much. I have had to return books to Audible because of language. I don't understand how they think it makes the book better.

    ReplyDelete