Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Good Ground

At my daughter's college orientation the President spoke to the students from these verses:

Matthew 13:3-8  
Then He told them many things in parables, saying: “A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 

He told the students that in choosing this college (Samford) they had fallen on good ground.  There were people there who would shepherd them, pray for them, care for them, nurture them as students...as young men and women.

I know....it was a beautiful speech.  I wanted to register for classes.

Here's the thing, I repeatedly fell on good ground during my lifetime.  I had wonderful parents and extended family.  I had lots of great teachers and lots of caring adults. And I have truly been blessed with some good friends.  I have seen and reaped the benefits of falling on good ground.

Now I want to be good ground for other people.  I want to care and nurture and pray for those that God sprinkles along my path. I want to lift up, encourage and empower them.  I want to be a testimony to the goodness of God.

Who has God scattered along your life path that needs some good ground?

What a delightful opportunity! And I know you are up for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment