Sunday, August 11, 2019

July Book Review

This month was another good round of reads.  Here's what I read and how/if I liked them

First up



What If It's True by Charles Martin.  I am pretty sure I have read every fictional work by Charles Martin.  I love his books.  I love his style.  OK, I love him.  Now this book is different.  Way different.  My friend Stayce gifted me with this one.  In this book he addresses some serious Biblical principles.  She gave me this through Audible so I listened to it while driving and cleaning house.  I got to this one chapter and sat in the Target parking lot for a good 30 minutes finishing it.  It was intense.  There are several intense moments.  He discusses some really hard topics.  He makes you think.  He makes you question.  He makes you draw close to God to seek the correct understanding.  If you go for this one, make sure you can devote some serious time to really taking it in.  It is going to snatch you up and shake you.  It is going to make you think about some things you'd rather avoid.  It is going to make you crave and seek truth.

Next I went for a lighter read

The Cactus

The Cactus by Sarah Haywood.  I do love a quirky main character.  This book delivers royally on that front.  Susan is 45, has every single thing in her life planned out - until she discovers she is expecting.  Her family relations, her job, her romantic interest all come into question and tested.  I love how she very pragmatically analyzes every situation.  The writing style reminded me a lot of Fredrik Blackman.  If you enjoy his books, grab this one quickly.

Amazon recommended this next one and I enjoyed it



Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton.  Sometimes I feel like I live on the outskirts of the world....like I know of things but don't have any real insight into certain things.  This book covers two generations in Cuba and America.  It is not a true story, but I assume it is based on some research.  It was so very interesting.  I just had no idea.  The general plot is a wealthy family flees Cuba and lives in America.  Before the grandmother passes she requests her ashes be taken back to Cuba.  The granddaughter returns to do so and discovers so much about her family .....their secrets....their loves....their great losses.

I hope you are reading some good things.  I am slowly working down that stack next to my bed.  Let me know what I need to add to it.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment