Monday, August 26, 2019

Meal Prep for a busy week

The past couple of months have been super busy.  So I have been doing tons of meal prep on the weekend to ease what has to be done on weeknights.  This week I thought I would bring you along

First up, let me say Saturday morning Food Network is the best.  If I am home on Saturday mornings, I usually have it on AND I usually end up making something that I saw for the next week.  I can't help it....everything looks so good....and so easy.  This Saturday I happened to be home and well......

The Pioneer Woman made this Sheet Pan Curry Chicken.  Just click here for the whole recipe.
So to prep I cut up the carrots and prepped the green beans.

Then mixed up the curry sauce


Both of these went into the fridge with a pack of drumsticks.  Now all we have to do is throw everything on the sheet pan and bake one evening.  It cooks in about 30-45 minutes at 450 degrees.  While that is cooking we can prepare some rice and the meal is all done.

The Pioneer Woman also got me with these BBQ baked potatoes.  Click here for that whole recipe.
She cooked her chicken in a One Pot.  I cooked mine in a traditional slow cooker.  Saturday night before bed I put everything in the slow cooker and let it cook all night.  I got up Sunday morning and pulled all the chicken, peppers and onion out and put them in a bowl.  I shredded everything with two forks and left it to cool on the counter.  About the time I was dressed and ready for church it was cool enough to be popped into the fridge so we can warm it up one night this week.  So this night we will bake potatoes and have a quick salad.  

I went ahead and sliced some green onion and shredded the cheese

Now all this is ready for a quick meal during the week.

The next thing I decided to make was also from the Pioneer Woman.  She made these Teriyaki Ribs in the slow cooker.  Click here for the whole recipe.  Again, I put these on Saturday night right before I went to bed.  Sunday morning I pulled them out and put them into a 9x13 dish. I followed the remainder of the recipe to strain the slow cooker liquid and made the teriyaki sauce


Once the sauce was made, I added it to the ribs and put the dish in the fridge to heat up this week.  We are going to have roasted veggies with it.  I went ahead and prepped some onion, brocolli and red potatoes so they are all ready to roast while the ribs heat up.


The last inspiration came from Trisha Yearwood cooking turnip greens.  Her recipe is here.  

I cut back on the Apple Cider vinegar.  I only added a couple of tablespoons.  Plus I added a little cayenne pepper and a teaspoon of sugar.  Personally I do not like greens but everyone else in my house likes them.  So I cooked them up and asked for a volunteer to taste and make sure they were seasoned correctly.  Now these are also in the fridge.  I picked up a couple of pork tenderloins to cook on the night we have the greens.


So there you have it.  A little weekend prep to help the week run smoother.  Plus it is just super nice to know that all the meals are planned and there will be no stress each evening.  

You might wonder why only 4 meals.  Well I typically take Friday nights off.  I cook 6 nights a week.  I feel like I have earned Friday night off.  We used to have pizza every Friday night....and then some of us turned 50 and can't handle all the calories.  So now Friday night varies.  But to be honest, I don't fret too much over the calorie count because for the most part we are eating fairly healthy every other night.

Share any tips and tricks you have for feeding you family or yourself through the week.  I am always looking for new ideas.

Hope you have a great week!



No comments:

Post a Comment