Monday, January 13, 2020

December Book Review

It is book review day.  I had a mixed month of books I loved and those I didn't.  Here is what I read in December.

First up,



The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton.  Hmmmm.....I am not sure what to say about this one.  If you like art history, good old tales from the 19th Century and lots of going back and forth between time and characters.....maybe you will love this one.  While I do enjoy a good story that is told in the present and past, I just couldn't quite get my bearings in this book.  There were some story lines I couldn't figure out what or who I was supposed to get out of them.  I pushed through, but if any of you email me and ask for a book recommendation, I am sorry but this would not be one I would mention.  It reminded me of something you would be required to read in college.....not really a pleasure read.

Then I wanted something light (insert sarcasm) so I read

The Lost Husband: A Novel by [Center, Katherine]

The Lost Husband by Katherine Center.  Now this one I did like.  Although, I still think the title is weird for it.  Yes, a young mom of two loses her husband in a car accident, but this book is about so much more than that.  This young mom moves with her two kids to her aunt's goat farm for a fresh start.  There's self-discovery, heartache and love all wrapped up in this one......plus there's a twist that I did not figure out.....and I always love it when that happens.

Now back to heavy reads


The Things We Cannot Say: A Novel

The Things We Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer. Oh my....this book is all about a family in Europe during the war.  There are some hard things: Refugee camps, hunger, mistreatment, fear.  But the real story is what families did to survive, to carry on, to live one more day.  Sometimes deception is the only ticket to facing another day.....sometimes that deception is to others and sometimes it is to yourself.  I enjoyed this read and would recommend it to you.

Then I NEEDED a light read so I went back to

The Secret to Southern Charm (The Peachtree Bluff Series Book 2) by [Harvey, Kristy Woodson ]

The Secret to Southern Charm by Kristy Woodson Harvey. I totally enjoyed book one is this series - Slightly South of Simple.  Well book 2 certainly did not disappoint.  This one has a lot of focus on the middle daughter but the whole family is involved seeing her through it all.  Read book one and then grab this one.  You won't be sorry.

See you back on Wednesday.  I hope you have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment