Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Common Substitutions

If you are like me your creativity in the kitchen has gotten ramped up a few notches out of neccessity.  I keep pulling out recipes and having everything but one ingredient.  So I spent some time on line researching common substitutions and thought I would share them here.....just in case it may help you too.

Saturday, I made poppy seed chicken.  I had every cracker EXCEPT Ritz crackers.  I substituted panko bread crumbs and it was just as good. The recipe linked here calls for cheese.  I don't use cheese in mine but maybe it is a good addition.  My family loves this served over rice and with any green vegetable on the side.

Sunday, I decided to make crockpot Mississippi Pot Roast.  I had everything except Lipton Onion Soup mix.....so I substituted a beef boullion cube, some onion powder, a pinch of celery seed and a pinch of pepper

If you want the whole list of substitions listed on the All Recipes site, click here.  I pulled out some of the more common ones for you below:

Brown sugar
1 cup, packed
1 cup white sugar plus 1/4 cup molasses and decrease the liquid in recipe by 1/4 cup OR 1 cup white sugar OR 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar

Condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (10.75-ounce) can
1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed cream of celery, cream of chicken, or golden mushroom soup
Cream (heavy)
1 cup
1 cup evaporated milk OR 3/4 cup milk plus 1/3 cup butter
Egg
1 whole (3 tablespoons or 1.7 oz)
 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute OR 13 tablespoons mayonnaise OR half a banana mashed with 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
Flour--Self-Rising
1 cup
7/8 cup all-purpose flour plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Honey
1 cup
1 1/4 cup white sugar plus 1/3 cup water OR 1 cup corn syrup OR 1 cup light treacle syrup

Ketchup
1 cup
1 cup tomato sauce plus 1 teaspoon vinegar plus 1 tablespoon sugar
Lemon juice
1 teaspoon
1/2 teaspoon vinegar OR 1 teaspoon white wine OR 1 teaspoon lime juice
Sour cream
1 cup
1 cup plain yogurt OR 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar plus enough cream to make 1 cup OR 3/4 cup buttermilk mixed with 1/3 cup butter
My palate is not developed enough to realize if an ingredient is slightly off so most of these substitions work out well for us.

Hopefully, it will be a help to you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment