Monday, March 9, 2020

February Book Review

Welcome to the February Book Review.  I have three reads for you this month and I liked.....maybe loved them all.

First up,



The Dutch House by Ann Patchett. This by far is one of the prettiest covers I have seen in a long time.  That was the initial draw to this book.  Then I read the summary and thought this might be good.  It was VERY good.  The story chronicles a brother and sister as they live through their mother's breakdown and their dad's seriously questionable decisions.  If you have not done an audible book yet, this is the one to start with.  Buy this and own it in hardcover and then listen to the audiobook as well.  Tom Hanks is the audible reader and he is phenomanal.  Truly this has been one of my favorite books this year.


Then Amazon recommended this one for me and I say well done, Amazon, well done.


This Tender Land: A Novel by [Krueger, William Kent]


This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger. This book is a little Tom Sawyerish......maybe a bit modern day Tom Sawyerish.  A group of kids escape a tough children's home and take to the river to find a new life.  They are all just trying to take care of each other and stay safe.  They, as you can imagine, encounter all kinds of people along the way.  It is a good story.  I definitely became attached to the characters and pulled for them like crazy.  It is a good story and I enjoyed it.

And I finished the month with another winner




The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes. Ok, I loved this one! It is set in the Kentucky hills and is all about a packhorse library. It is based on a true story. Eleanor Roosevelt creates this traveling library to improve literacy in remote areas.  These ladies take up the call and the difficult challenge of delivering books in an unwelcoming environment.  While all of this is going on there are relationships, family dynamics and pure meanness all in the mix.  It was a great story.  Deep, well developed and highly engaging.  It was one of those I couldn't wait to get back to.

It was a good month.  You can't go wrong with any of these.  Happy Reading!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment