Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Through the Generations Series - Installment 1 - The Twenties

We are starting a new series of posts today.  I am very excited about it and I hope you will enjoy.

Over the next several weeks we will have the pleasure of hearing how different generations respond to the same questions.  We have someone in their 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's all answer the same questions.

We have all been where these ladies are OR we are presently where they are OR we are headed in that direction.

I am so grateful for these ladies being willing to be open, honest and very candid in their responses.  Interestingly, several of them had a very similar experience - and that was the fun they had thinking  on these questions. Maybe you will spend some time thinking about how you would answer them yourself.

Now our first featured guest is Erika Donnell.



Erika Donnell is a PreK teacher at Corinth Head Start in Corinth, MS.  She is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. 

Erika was born in Corinth, MS on Oct 2,1988. She graduated from McNairy Central High School in Selmer, TN in May 2007, and from Rust College with a Bachelors of Arts in Early Childhood Education. 

After receiving her education, Erika became a PreK Teacher in Corinth, Ms. She is a co-owner of The W-right Place daycare started by her mother who is a retired 5th grade teacher of McNairy County. In 2012 Erika married her wonderful husband Mario Donnell. 5 years later they now have two beautiful girls Avery age 3 and Ava age 2 months. 

Erika has a passion for kids and knows that all kids are special and every child needs love. She enjoys seeing each child step into her room with a big smile as she greets them with their morning hugs. 

Now let's hear things from Erika's perspective:

Who has been a big influence in your life?
The person who has been the biggest influence in my life is my maternal grandmother, Ora Avery.  Even though she is now deceased her love and life lessons live on in my mom and in me.  She taught me so many wonderful things that I treasure and will pass on to my daughters.  

If you could invite any 3 people to dinner who would they be and why?
The three people I would love to come sit at my dinner table would be Barack Obama, Michelle Obama, and Tyler Perry.  These three individuals are definitely role models for me and my husband.  We love to see all the sweet genuine moments the Obamas share together.  They have a love story that others aspire to have in a marriage.  I would love to chat with Tyler Perry, the actor and filmmaker.  He is continually writing great TV shows, plays, and movies that show different family dynamics that anyone can relate.  I might be able to give him some material to include in an upcoming project.

When you meet someone for the first time, what do you hope they will think of you?
When I meet someone for the first time, I pray they first recognize that I am a woman of God by the way I act and the things I say.  Because I am friendly and outgoing, I enjoy meeting new people.  I hope they also know I love being a mother and wife.  

What is your biggest challenge right now?
My biggest challenge comes as an educator.  I want to make sure each of my students is getting the head start they need academically and emotionally in life.  I try to give each student special one-on-one time that many may not receive at home.   

What is the one thing (besides your phone) that you usually take with you when you leave home?
When leaving the house, I have to have my make-up bag.  I believe your personal appearance is everything!

What is one of the best books you have ever read?
Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

What has been the key to success in maintaining lasting girlfriend relationships?
The key is to always have a listening ear, to be loyal and always supportive through both the good and the bad. 

What advice do you wish you could give to the women who are younger than you?
My advice to the younger generation is to always set a goal and then work hard to achieve that goal.  Then set another goal and work towards it.  When you do this, you will continue to grow and achieve the dreams you want in life.  Never give up on your dream.  

What dream are you still dreaming?
My dream is to one day open an after school center to provide a safe educational, social and spiritual environment for underprivileged children.  I love children and have a heart for them.   

Thanks, Erika, you are rocking the 20's and I can't wait to watch you continue to act on that beautiful heart of yours.


Next Wednesday we will hear how someone in their 30's answers these same questions.  But don't forget to come back Friday for another post and a GIVEAWAY!!!!!

See you then.
P.S.
if you have ever wanted to try ebates, now is the time they have 15% rebates at several stores this week.  you can sign up here. The original post is here.

1 comment: