Monday, October 23, 2017

Purpose

Who among us has not looked for a great, phenomenal, awe inspiring purpose to fulfill? I mean I often find myself thinking "what am I contributing to the world, what big purpose should I aspire to?"
Well I have come to the conclusion that as of today I've not been enlightened about one.  Perhaps being recorded in the history books is not my calling.

Does this discourage me?

Well no and since you asked (let's just pretend you asked), I'll tell you why it doesn't.

While I don't have a larger than life purpose that will be recorded in history and be talked about through generations to come, I do have purpose.

I am trying to train myself to meet the seemingly small purposes that are right in front of me every day.  I call them seemingly small because they really only seem small to the giver....but to the receiver, well they could mean much more.

I think some days my purpose may be

to smile at someone who obviously needs it
to compliment someone
to look over an offense and not make issue
to give someone a gentle hug
to simply listen
to help someone hold on until indeed this too passes
to pray with and for someone
to bite my tongue when I have 'a really good comeback'
to donate
to honor God in word and deed
to love

If you have ever been the recipient of an unexpected or much needed gesture of kindness...you know these are not small things.

I have purpose. You have purpose. Let's try to knock these out every day and whether history recalls them or not someone's heart will...... and really isn't that enough?

Have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment