Monday, November 27, 2017

DIY Tree Flocking

I love a flocked Christmas tree.  I grew up with one.....and then they kind of fell out of favor.  But now they are back!  The only problem is there is no way I could possibly justify buying another Christmas tree.  I may or may not own too many already.  But for two years I have wanted snow on my branches.  So I started doing a little research.  I googled some products.  I watched a few YouTube videos.  I decided on this do it yourself flocking product.

The Original SnoFlock! Premium Artificial Decorative Self-adhesive Snow Flock Powder with IceFlakes | PRO. GRADE | Artificial Christmas Tree Snow (Pure White, 2 Pounds [0.90Kg])

Here are all the supplies I gathered
A spray bottle of water
A kitchen strainer
A tarp
The flocking powder

I followed the instructions on the package.  I chose to flock one my trees that was not pre-lit.  I think you would definitely end up with less bright lights if your tree had lights on it simply because the bulbs would get covered.

First you spray your tree with water. Then you put the powder in the strainer, shake it over the tree while spraying water....I think this is a two person job. 

This is how my tree looked originally

It was such a windy day.  We had to work in the garage.  We thought it would be easier to get the inner branches covered by doing one section at a time.  So we took off the top two sections of the tree and started with the bottom one.
Then we put the middle section back in place and flocked it. Then the top section and flocked it.
It is up to you how heavily you flock.  This is a 7.5 ft tree and I used 3/4 of the two pound bag.  I would say we did a medium flocking.  The whole application took about 30 minutes.

Here is how the tree looked at the end.

and a closer look



We let it dry for about 36 hours.  The flocking was nice and thick.  We moved it back it to the house and decorated it.  Small light flaking came off during the move but nothing major.

Here is how the tree looks all decorated.

....and a closer look.


I plan on using the rest of the powder on some other artificial greenery.

By the way this product  can also be used on live trees and greenery.

I am very pleased with the results.

If you have the desire.....add some snow to your holiday decor this year.

I'll meet you back here on Wednesday.  I hope it is one fantastic week for you!!!











No comments:

Post a Comment