Monday, February 11, 2019

January Book Review

Much like the real weather, I couldn't get away from Winter in my reading last month.  Three of my four reads were cold, but four out of four reads were good.  So that is the good news!  Here is what I read last month



Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell. Ree Dolly is left to take care of herself, her mom who has mentally checked out of life and her two little brothers.  The problem is she is just a kid herself.  When she has to find her dad or lose the only thing they have - their house, the treacherous adventure begins.  They are so poor and so uneducated and so tragic.   You may need a throw while reading this one.  It is cold.  So very cold.  And so well written I literally was chilly when reading it.  But you have to keep reading until the end to see if Ree can keep it all together and make it work. It has some tough spots in it but ......The end is worth it.

And keeping with the Winter theme..... next up I read

Winter Garden by [Hannah, Kristin]

Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah. It is no secret that I am a Kristin Hannah fan. While this was not my all time favorite, it was very good.  However, just fair warning the first couple of chapters are a little slow.  The story involves the mom telling a story.....so that part is a little weird to be reading about someone telling a story but I settled into it.  The gist is the mom is very removed and unloving to her daughters.  They each have their own reaction to this upbringing.  Finally, they are forced to get to know each other and when the truth comes out it is certainly nothing you could imagine.  Another well written, highly engaging book by Kristin Hannah.

Then I jumped to a much warmer climate....



Queen Sugar by Natalie Baszile. Charley is a single mom who just inherited a sugar cane farm in Louisiana.  She has to make it work, make it prosperous, but first keep it from going under.  All the family dynamics you can imagine are at play.  She meets those cheering for her to win and those hoping she will fail.  She puts in the work, but will it be enough?  Well written and kept me engaged and interested until the very end.

This last one starts off cold but warms quickly



One Day in December by Josie Silver.  Do you believe in love at first sight?  Well this takes that theory to the very extreme. It is a very enjoyable story about two friends who feel like sisters.....their relationship ebbs and flows and different boyfriends come in and out of their lives.  There are only a couple of unnecessary graphic scenes...... Just turn the page.  The story is worth reading....it has a little Sleepless in Seattle flare.  If you like that kind of story, I think you will enjoy this one.  I certainly did.

I've got a good line up for next month.  Hope you are reading some great things too.  As always, share with me.  I don't want to miss out on anything.

See you back on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment