Friday, June 19, 2020

Juneteenth

Have you been hearing Juneteenth mentioned in TV and social media?  It has been a thing for 155 years, yet I don't think I have ever heard so much talk about it or mention of it.

With all the racial conversations that are happening right now, here is another opportunity to understand more about something that was generally not taught in our schools and certainly not widely celebrated by all people.

Juneteenth is the honoring of the day when thousands of slaves finally got the word of their freedom ......it was two and a half years AFTER the Emancipation Proclamation had been signed by President Lincoln. I think every history class I ever took indicated slavery ended with the signing of the proclamation. But the sad and horrific reality was it continued for another two and half years. As historic as the actual signing was the effectual date for thousands is worth noting in history.

I have had the opportunity to share in so many rich conversations lately.  Some with family. Some with close friends.  Some with people I am just meeting.  They have all been respectful and emotional. 

I hope you are engaging with those around you.  One of the main questions I have heard from people is ......What can I do?

Start with you - we could each use a personal assessment and some real inventory about places we need to grow.

Talk to your family - have some good conversations about how everyone is feeling and processing.

Talk to your friends - we have all practiced accountability partnering in other areas of our lives, maybe matters of race would be another good area to have an accountability partner.

I am hoping we all come out better on the other side......there's been so much pain.....so much loss....we have to be better on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment