Monday, July 6, 2020

June Book Review

Welcome to this month's book review.  I have four books to share with you this month. I liked them all but I really loved a couple.  Here we go....

First up,



The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult. I like Jodi Picoult books.  I like this book.  But literally when I finished it, I went back and read the description to see if I had missed what this book was really about.  Um, no.  The description is very vague and, dare I say, slightly misleading.  Again, the book is good, but I wasn't mentally prepared for the subject matter.  So let me warn you. It is about the holocaust....and not just a mention of it, or a survivor's tale.  It is very detailed, very in depth, very descriptive.  I have read lots of stories around this subject matter and it is important to understand and important these stories be told.  All I am saying is I just wasn't quite aware or ready when the story took this turn.  So it is a good story, well written but I would not recommend as a beach read.

Next up



Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center. I really enjoyed this book.  It revolves around a female fire fighter who is battling some things from her past.  She faces a job transfer and has to prove herself in an all male station that does not welcome women.  Of course, all manners of things go on around the story.....family dynamics, love interests, personal challenges.  It is wonderfully, well written.  I totally bonded with the main character and cheered her on through the whole book.  Every now and then I need just a good basic story with sane people....and this was it.

Then I read



Dear Carolina by Kristy Woodson Harvey.
This is a sweet story of a baby who is adopted and all the people in her life who love her.  It is not life changing and won't stick with me for weeks.  It was just enjoyable and entertaining....and that is quite okay.  The end wraps up nicely and that is always a good thing.

I ended with a suspenseful book





Woman on the Edge by Samantha M. Bailey.  An unsuspecting woman is handed a baby on the subway platform and then the mom jumps to her death.  The rest of the book gets us up to speed on how and why all the players got to the fateful day.  I always like to warn people of potential triggers so you can decide if this is a book for you.  This book has postpartum depression and suicide.  It is a well developed story that kept me interested.  I have to say about two zillion times I found myself saying to the characters, "why would you do that?"...but they were not listening to me.  This is not a book about wise decision making, but kept engaged.

Well that's what I read. Be sure and give me any recommendations you have.

Have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment