Monday, June 12, 2017

Soundtrack of Life


Someone posted this tweet on Facebook and I got tickled at myself.  I am a concert in motion when I am in the car by myself.  It makes me so mad when I am arriving at my destination and "that" song comes on.  You know the one I know all the words to and have my choreography down.  I have been known to spend a few extra moments in the garage closing out a concert.....but people at Costco just aren't that receptive so sometimes I  just have to pull the curtain early.  

I totally wish we had soundtracks to our lives.  I mean wouldn't it be great if music just kicked in gear to make a great moment even better.  Like when you've lost your car keys but you suddenly find them and Sergio Mendes kicks in with

I'm never gonna let you go
I'm gonna hold you in my arms forever.....

Or when you find those shoes that make you look great and you hear Michael Jackson say...

Hey Pretty Baby with the High Heels on
you give me fever like I've never ever known
You're just a product of loveliness
I like the groove of walk, your talk, your dress

I spent all of my high school years with Lionel Richie.  I took my life-size cut out that the record store guy gifted me with to college.  Lionel was a great study buddy.  He and I fell on bad times when he divorced Brenda and I discovered Lionel really wasn't Easy as a Sunday Morning.  But I have forgiven him  and still allow him to serenade me with Once, Twice, Three Times a Lady......Oh Lionel, you're just too kind.

Then Janet Jackson and I hung out a bunch in college - that whole Control Album - yep I knew every song, every word but I mostly played Control on repeat.  Apparently, it was a time I needed help convincing myself

I've got my own mind
yeah,yeah, yeah
Wanna make my own decisions
When it has to do with my life, my life
I wanna be the one in control

Then by senior year of college it was me and Cameo jamming to Word Up.  I mean truly you'd have to use the classic American Bandstand answer and say - I like this song because it has a nice beat and is easy to dance to. - Because I honestly have no idea what the lyrics are talking about but it is awfully catchy.  I think it was just fun to sing

Now all you sucker DJ's who think you're fly
There's got to be a reason and we know the reason why
Why you put on those airs and you act real cool
Got to realize that you are acting like fools.

I mean I had just never had the need before then to use the word "sucker" so I embraced the opportunity.

I am sorry kids of the 2000's - you just can't beat 80's and 90's music.

Although I am digging Bruno Mars a bit....but I really don't understand his lyrics either, that is most likely a good thing.

Make your own soundtrack for your day  - and go ahead and dance like no one is watching!



1 comment:

  1. I totally have "never gonna let you go" and Lionel's Tuskegee album on my playlist! And I too have wonderful car concerts - we should tour!!!

    ReplyDelete