Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Through the Generations - Installment 7 the Eighties

 Well today we come to our last decade in the Through the Generations series.  If you are just tuning in, we had someone from each decade answer the same set of questions......just a fun way to get a perspective from many phases of life.

If  you missed any of the previous decades you can go back and catch up
Erika - the 20's
Lindsay - the 30's
Kelly - the 40's 
Phyllene - the 50's
Lea Ann- the 60's
Gail - the 70's


But today a special treat to wrap up the series.  Allow me to introduce you to Ela Washington.





Ela was born in rural Limestone County, AL.  She was the 2nd of nine children born to Johnny and Gracie Washington. She attended Nelson Elementary and Trinity High School. She graduated from Clark Atlanta.  Ela taught high school and college math 28 1/2 years. She took a leave  from work for about three years to help her mother care for her father.  Ela was elected in a county wide campaign for a seat on the Limestone County Board of Education.  She served in that position for six years. Ela began her present job in 1989 at the Marshall Space Flight Center where she has completed  over 28 years......and is still counting.

Now here's Ela in her own words:

Who has been the biggest influence in your life?
My parents

If you could invite any 3 people to dinner who would they be and why?
Wynken, Blynken and Nod.  I would really like to hear the account of that fishing trip in that wooden shoe.

When you meet someone for the first time, what do you hope they will think of you?
That I was warm and welcoming and showed interest in them.

What is your biggest challenge right now?
Not over doing myself physically-mentally.  I stay geared up.

What is the one thing (besides your phone) that you usually take with you when you leave home?
My check book

What is one of the best books you have ever read?
Because I read The Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens when I was quite young, it has lingered quite vividly.  I tend to prefer the classics.

What has been the key to success in maintaining lasting girlfriend relationships?
I am not sure because other than my sisters, I don't have what I would consider girlfriends as such.  But anyone who could be in that category I would say stay in touch.

What advice do you wish you could give to the women who are younger than you?
Learn to listen. Take advantage of the experiences of those who are older and are where you are trying to go.  Don't get caught up in what you think other people think.  Figure out how to develop a spiritual connection to a higher (supreme) being and follow that lead.

What dream are you still dreaming?
I dream about lots of things and I imagine how things could be. They are pleasant thoughts.  If they became real, all the problems of life and reality would probably accompany the dream.  It's probably better to just keep dreaming.

I have the fortune of having Ela as my aunt.  She is one of the most talented people I know.  She can sew ANYTHING.....quilts, dolls, clothing and if you find a wedding gown that you love but it is 6 sizes too large - she can take it apart and put it back together to fit you perfectly ( yes, I am speaking from personal experience).  She is an excellent cook, dedicated to her family and church and quite honestly I can't think of anything that she is bad at.  I am certain that if she gets a paper cut or scrape, she bleeds generosity.  I have never met anyone whose natural default mode is giving......but hers is exactly that.  It has been quite a blessing to grow up with her in my life.  She is for sure more "geared up" in her eighties than I have been at any decade.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, thanks for "Through the Generations". I found each installment very interesting. The difference and similarities are all thought provoking. Thanks ladies for sharing and thanks Rhega for putting this together. I just love ❤️ OTCUAT.

    ReplyDelete