Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Through the Generations - Installment 5 The Sixties

Wow! We are continuing to move through the decades.  I am picking up a little something, something from everyone.  Women are just awesome, aren't they? And these women who have been so gracious to share with us here are super duper awesome.

If you have missed any of the previous decades you can find them here
Erika - 20's
Lindsay - 30's
Kelly - 40's
Phyllene - 50's

And today, please meet Lea Ann Barnett.  She is so personable and kind.  She draws you in and chats with you like you've spent many summer evenings on her porch.  It's a natural talent.  I'm in awe of it.


Lea Ann was born in Greenville, MS in April 1956. Her family moved to Decatur, Alabama in 1959. She was the third of four children. She went to parochial school grades 1-6 and then attended public junior high and high school. She was valedictorian of her senior class. She graduated from University of North Alabama with a double major in English/Business Education. She worked for the federal government for 33 years (TVA, OPM, and AMCOM). Lea Ann retired in 2011 and returned to work in 2012 and retired again in 2015. She is very active in her church, Church of the Nativity, where she serves on the altar guild, flower guild, lay Eucharistic minister, and Greene Street Market Store. She is also a member of Willowbrook Garden Club. She loves to
read, needlepoint, and play bridge. She recently celebrated her 25th wedding anniversary with her best friend and the love of her life.


And now here is Lea Ann in her own words.


Who has been a big influence in your life?
My Mom – she taught me how to sew, how to cook, how to cross-stitch, how to crochet, how to grow flowers, and how to be kind to others.

If you could invite any 3 people to dinner who would they be and why?
Audrey Hepburn – I have always admired her sense of style, her beauty, and her wisdom.
Mother Theresa – I have always admired her faith, her humanitarianism, and her grace.
Nelson Mandela – The world is a better place because he lived in it.

When you meet someone for the first time, what do you hope they will think of you?
That I am a kind, compassionate, and caring person!

What is your biggest challenge right now?
Discerning my purpose in life after my retirement.

What is the one thing (besides your phone) that you usually take with you when you leave home?
My calendar of appointments so that I know where I am supposed to be and when I am supposed to be there.

What is one of the best books you have ever read?
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte is my most favorite book

What has been the key to success in maintain lasting girlfriend relationships?
Staying in touch, being a great listener, and always being there for each other at any time of the day/night.

What advice do you wish you could give to the women who are younger than you?
Don’t even think about getting married until you are at least 30 years of age. During your 20s, discover who you are, the person you strive to become, and how you will achieve it successfully. Above all, seek to be kind and treat others the way you want to be treated. Be independent and do your best in everything you undertake.

What dream are you still dreaming?
That I am thin and can eat anything I want with no worries!!

Ha! Make room for me on that dream train, Lea Ann! Love it!!  Lea Ann worked with my husband and I had the pleasure of meeting her through him. I think she  is meeting her challenge very well.  My goodness she is so busy with all her service and then she has such fun hobbies too.  

You are rockin' the 60's.......inspirational. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Come back on Friday, everyone, I am going to take you with me on a little local shopping we did at a new boutique.


No comments:

Post a Comment