Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Through the Generations - Installment 6 The 70's

Today we have a special treat as we continue hearing from our 70's representative.  I am so appreciative of all these ladies sharing so richly with us.

If you missed any of the previous decades, you can catch up here
Erika - 20's
Lindsay - 30's
Kelly - 40's
Phyllene - 50's
Lea Ann - 60's


 I know you will love our 70's representative - Gail Justice

Gail pictured with her family. Standing are her children Kyle, Bart and Lee Kate.Seated next to her is her husband Harold.


Before we get into the questions here's a little introduction to who Gail is.....
 Seventy-two years ago, I was born at home in Vina, AL. Being the only redheaded, left-handed, girl in the family, needless to say, I stood out ! My dad taught high school and my mother was a stay at home mom, the hardest working woman I have ever seen, best cook too. She met my dad while teaching and after they married and started a family, she elected to stay at home and take care of the four of us. Big job!!!!!
Since both of my parents were teachers, they were strong disciplinarians. I grew up with three brothers and worked on the farm just like they did, chopping and picking cotton, pulling corn and any job our dad found for us to do. We didn't get to sleep late on weekends or during the summer. This work ethic has stayed with me. To this day, I take pleasure in working in my yard.
My father, "Daddy" as I always called him, told me very early that I could do anything I wanted to do. I wouldn't need a man to make a living for me if I got my education. Well, I did just that! I got my degree from Auburn University in 1966, and met my husband in the process.
We started our family earlier than we had planned, God had a better plan. Nine months and three days after we were marred, we became parents. Our oldest son grew up with us. Fast forward five years and we had three redheaded kids, two born at home with a midwife. I chose to stay at home with our two sons and daughter until they were in school. I started volunteering at their school and the principal offered me a job working in the school office. From there, I moved to the elementary library where I worked until I retired.
I have played the piano since I was nine years old. Over the years I have taken several sewing, embroidery and needlework classes to get my creative juices flowing. At the present, I am making my own greeting cards. I feel like a "Jack of all trades and a master of none".
Each August I host my dad's family reunion, going on now for 78 years. I inherited the old home place and promised my dad that I would continue the reunion as long as I was able. He passed away in 1998 when I took on the job and the reunion is still going strong. I write a family newsletter and mail out to over 200 families. I always look forward to seeing members of the family at the reunion. Family is important!
One of my passions is decorating for Christmas. Last year I put up 19 trees, all different themes. If you drive by my house from the day after Thanksgiving until New Year's Day, you will see my trees shining in every window.
I really love to travel! Since 2000, I have been to all seven continents, Africa twice. I have been to 47 states and hope to complete all 50 in the next year. As it turns out, I did need a man to help support my traveling habit.
We now have eight grandkids and I love to have them visit. Four live in Georgia, two in Birmingham and two in Hampton Cove. I spend as much time as possible with them. Family is what it's all about. I want them to know who their cousins are. Each summer all eight of them come for a week that they have dubbed "boot camp." We work on manners and how to be successful in life. The name sounds harsh but, actually, we have a lot of fun and the kids look forward to it every year.
I recommend grandkids if you want to keep a young perspective on life.
And now for the questions:

Who has been a big influence in your life?
I guess my parents had the most influence in my life. I think that is the way it's supposed to be. They were positive, loving, supportive and fun to be around. I just hope my children say the same about me.
If you could invite any 3 people to dinner who would they be and why?
I would love to visit with Jesus first. I would like to hear his voice and ask him about family members who have passed away. I think Barbara Bush would be fun to have dinner with. She has lived a long time, experienced a lot, and I love her humor. Finally, I would love to have dinner with Charles Barkley. He certainly has a unique perspective on life. Coming from the south, I would love to hear his twist on things.
When you meet someone for the first time, what do you hope they will think of you?
I usually am very quiet when I meet someone for the first time. I like to size them up instead of making a quick friend. I am loyal and want to make sure they are also. I would hope they would want to size me up and see that I am worthy to be their friend.

What is your biggest challenge right now?
My biggest challenge right now is staying healthy enough to travel more and see all my grandchildren grow into happy, productive adults. I don't want to sit down and rest, I want to be on the go. Staying healthy is the key to that.

What is the one thing (besides your phone) that you usually take with you when you leave home?
I never leave my home without my purse. I tell my husband all the time," It's my filing cabinet". Everything I need is in there, plus there is always room to put his sunglasses and wallet.

What is one of the best books you have ever read?
As a child, my favorite book was Heidi. Later, I worked in an elementary school library, therefore I read a lot of children's books. I loved the Harry Potter series. As I have grown older, I read a different kind of books. My latest favorite book is A Man Called Ove.

What has been the key to success in maintain lasting girlfriend relationships?
I have several girlfriends that have been my friends for years. I deeply care about them and their families. I have been loyal to them and I think they are loyal to me. If they confide in me, they know they can trust me. We don't have to see each other often, but when we do, we pick right up where we left off. Loyalty and trust is the key!

What advice do you wish you could give to the women who are younger than you?
Be positive and let it go! That is my advice to everyone. Don't dwell on things. Just let it go and move on! And, as they said in the Life of Bryan, "Always look on the bright side of life".

What dream are you still dreaming?
I am still dreaming of traveling more. There are several places I want to see, Ireland, Israel and New Zealand. Iceland would be nice too! My dad was killed in a car accident at age 90. He was planning his third trip to Alaska. I want to be like him.
Are you exhausted just reading about all the things Gail does? She is quite a woman, wife, mother, grandmother and friend. I have the pleasure of living next door to Gail. I have to tell you a funny story between the two of us. The first year we moved in to the neighborhood, I pulled out all my Christmas decorations and went to town. It was fun trying to fit and place all of our Christmas decorations in a new setting. But I must have worked a half a day, opening bins, deciding what would go where. It was a festive day. I put up my normal 7-9 trees, put candles in all the windows and stood back and thought it was perfect. Later that day I got in the car, pulled out my driveway and headed out of the subdivision which took me right by Gail's house. I couldn't believe my eyes ....where I had put candles in the windows, Gail had a whole, full size, decorated tree. I literally slammed on my brakes. It was incredible!!!! Gail is the first to say she doesn't decorate like this to compete with anyone, it is just what she loves. I know she means that. So at Christmas I am proud to say "I live next door to the house with all the Christmas Trees." We have so enjoyed living next door to her and her husband. They are generous and kind.

Thank you, Gail, for sharing with us today. You inspire me every single day.....but incredibly so at Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. She's an incredible person! I have been more than blessed to have her as a "mother-in-love" and as the Ganmama to my boys. We are the family she referenced from Hampton Cove. Thanks for taking the time to write about her and to recognize and honor the admirable person she is!

    ReplyDelete