Wednesday, August 23, 2017

August and I

I have a strange relationship with August.  Part of me really loves it because it means a few things

1) we will be getting back into a routine

2) we are that much closer to summer ending....and by summer I mean the super hot temps

3) we get to buy new school supplies which is totally one of my favorite things to do

Admittedly, I spend most of June and July staying up way too late, having way too much sofa time and all the other things that make summer wonderful.  I totally don't get this about myself because just because the kids are not in school doesn't mean I don't have to go work.  I still have to go.  So why I punish myself with these bad habits I have no idea.

And then.....

August comes and the kids have to get up and go to school and one has to even go back to a dorm. And I don't like it.  It means I have to ask about homework and tests.  It means we can't just watch reality tv and netflix.  It means I have to up my quantity of Boar's Head Sweet Slice ham for packing lunches and make sure we have bread.  So, August, these are not things that make me look forward to you.

In the past I would get myself pretty worked up with lists and checking and double checking everything.  And every year I would have to remind myself we have this adjustment period every single August.  I have to tell myself there is nothing to worry or fret over, we do this every year.  We are adjusting....that's all....adjusting.

Does your routine change this time of year?  If so, just take a deep breath and give yourself a break.  Allow yourself a few weeks to adjust and know that you and all those in  your household will get back into the routine.

After all, you know what makes this adjustment period well worth it, the two months of total leisure and bad habits.  Yep, wouldn't trade that for anything.

See you back here on Friday for another gift idea post.

1 comment: