Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Living the Dream Series - Jansyn Gordon

Today is the last installment of the Living the Dream Series.

If you missed the first two please click below

Kim Wright
Katy Brooks

Now for today......Jansyn Gordon


Photo Credit: Marla Laramie


Jansyn is a junior at Westminster Christian Academy.  She began taking art lessons when she was 9 years old.  It was obvious she had both a love and a talent for it.  She has always loved to craft things and so her business was born.  She began by making greeting cards, progressed to making wedding invitations and now does custom artwork of pets, scripture art and pretty much anything that a person wants drawn or painted.  She has won two awards at the state wide Spanish Conference for her artwork and currently has a piece featured at the Huntsville Museum of Art.  Now here is Jansyn in her own words.




How did you get into running your own business?
Well, I have always loved art. Whether it was making a greeting card for someone or doing a painting for their daughter's room, there is nothing like seeing a smile on someones face from the art you have done from them. As I began to practice art more and more, I got much better with it. I guess people noticed my talent and passion for it! People would ask for a drawing and I would do it and they would share with their friends. Eventually, more and more people kept asking and my "business" was created! 

What was your greatest challenge?

My greatest challenge is probably my schedule. I am very busy all the time, but I always make time for art.


How do you balance it all?
I have been told if you love something, you will make time for it. I love art; it relaxes me and just makes me happy! I have an art class I attend on Wednesday's nights. That way I know for at least an hour and a half out of the week I will have time to be creative.



What is the favorite thing about what you doing?

I love to see the reaction people have to my art. Sometimes at competitions, I will stand back and watch how strangers react to my art. Art should be thought provoking. If someone stops and silently stares at my art, I have to wonder what they are thinking. One time at a competition I entered a watercolor of a women with flowers in her hair. A couple walked and stopped to look at my art. The girl stopped and said "She's beautiful." The guy looked at her and said, "Just like you."Another time one of my teachers took my art home with her. Her very young son saw it, and his reaction was priceless. She sent me a video of him saying "It's beautiful!" It sounds cheesy, but these reactions drive me to create more.


Did you have mentors, formal training or did you just learn as you went along?

I started art lessons when I was 9. I took art lessons with Mrs. Vonda at Artistic Minds and she has been such a help to me. She makes sure you are educated in all mediums and not just one. I would 100% recommend taking lessons or even attending a paint party there. I am so blessed to have a job there and I love it!

What's the key to making your business work?

Listening to the customer and giving them what they want. My business is all word of mouth so I have to make sure my customers are happy!

What's coming up for you that you are looking forward to?

I recently got into copic markers! I am very excited to see how I can use this for my customers.

What advice do you have for a woman thinking of stepping out and starting to live her own dream?

Just do It! Start small and go from there. Enjoy the process and make sure it makes you happy!



This girl amazes me.  She has such a talent and works so hard to get better and better.  I can't wait to see how God continues to use her talent.  Here's a look at a few things she has done in the past.









No comments:

Post a Comment