Monday, August 7, 2017

July Book Review

"I'm just going to read a few pages of my book." Translation: I'm going to read at least 100 pages. Leave me alone. I'll see you when I see you.

I may or may not be guilty of the above.

But here are the books I  managed to read this month.

First up


Now this was interesting.  The positives about it: Good writing, very descriptive, wonderful mental images painted, great complex characters, a bit of dry humor and several moments that make you go - oh wow!

The negatives: tons of characters,, sometimes hard to keep up with you is who and even harder to remember how people relate to each other, very frequent and creative ways to insert the F-word.

When I read the reviews about this book, several people commented that this was a very accurate depiction - all I can say is  jiminey crickets! I enjoyed it but not sure I will read the others in the series.  If I hit a book dry spell, I would probably go back to these because it was very entertaining but I am not off to add it to my cart today.

Next up


This was my first Nancy Thayer book and I LOVED it! This one is about Courtney, a girl from Kansas, who is the college roommate with a girl from Nantucket.  Courtney spends several summers on the island with this roommate's family.  This family has so much going on - secrets, illness, weirdness and lots of love.  I loved all the characters and cheered for them until the very end.  Excited to have found Nancy Thayer and very thankful to my friend Lindsay for gifting me with this book!

I am off to add some more Nancy Thayer books to my cart!

Lindsay was also kind enough to gift me with this next one.



This is one of my favorite kind of books.  It is inspired by a true story.....a story I had never heard of which makes it even more interesting to me.  The book cover desribes it like this:

Based on one of America's most notorious real-life scandals--in which Georgia Tann, director of a Memphis-based adoption organization, kidnapped and sold poor children to wealthy families all over the country--Lisa Wingate's riveting, wrenching, and ultimately uplifting tale reminds us how, even though the paths we take can lead to many places, the heart never forgets where we belong.

I was drawn to these characters.  Honestly, as I am reading it I am thinking what a great story this is......then I am reminded this actually happened to people.  It is true, my friends, life really is stranger than fiction.  Lisa Wingate tells the story wonderfully.  I recommend this one highly.

This was a good book month.  Fingers crossed that next month I will be just as fortunate.  Hope you are reading some good things too.


No comments:

Post a Comment