Monday, October 22, 2018

Adding Sherpa to a Denim Jacket

Welcome to another week, girls.  Who's ready to show Monday what we are made of?

I mentioned we went to Nordstrom for a fall fashion tips and tricks.  If you missed that post, click here, One of the other things they talked about was how big sherpa is this year.  If you have been out browsing, you have most likely seen a bit of it yourself.  Well, we had just purchased this denim jacket

Boxy Crop Denim Jacket,
                        Main,
                        color, MID DENIM
Topshop Boxy Crop Denim Jacket
Boxy is in the description of this one and that would be very accurate.  We sized down it.  We got it when it was on sale but still a bit pricey.......as in I didn't want to buy another denim jacket with a sherpa collar.  So off to Joanne's Fabrics we went. We found this in the trim section
Here is the sherpa side

Here is the sueded side


It was only about $7 a yard and we only purchased about 1/2 yard.  It has a kind of leathery backing and sherpa on the front.  I simply traced her collar onto a piece of card stock and then traced around that pattern on the leathery side.  When I cut it out I cut about 1/2 inch larger than my card stock tracing.....just to make sure.  I figured I could always trim it more if I needed once I got it attached.




I went to one of my jars of buttons and selected 5 buttons of similar size and color.



I then hand sewed the buttons inside the collar of her jacket.



Since this sherpa had this sueded type backing, you can cut the "buttonhole" and not need to stitch it.  I simply lined up the collar and made a tiny pen mark to show where I needed to cut my buttonholes.  Here is your word of caution, find the tiniest scissors you have and cut the tiniest hole you can.  You can always widen it if needed.  I am telling you when you make the snip it will seem the button could never fit through it......IT WILL.  If, however, you cut it too large simply give it a few stitches to close it up and make it tighter.

Here she is in the original jacket


Here she is with the sherpa collar on.


Now she has the one jacket with the two looks and it was less than $4 and about 30 minutes to make it happen.

Maybe you'd enjoy a little removable sherpa in your life.  If so, give it a whirl.
If not, here are some ready made options for you

Women's Denim Sherpa Jacket - Universal Thread̢㢠Light Wash - image 1 of 3
Target UT Jacket

Karla Mid-90s Denim & Fleece Jacket,
                        Alternate,
                        color, MID 90S SHERPA
Mavi Jean Jacket

Make it a great week!!! See you back her on Wednesday and by the way, we will have a little giveaway on Wednesday, so make sure you don't miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment