Wednesday, October 17, 2018

September Book Review

Welcome to this month's book review.  It was a good month.....very diverse, but good.  As you guys know I both read and listen to books.  I had a request to indicate if a book is better read or listened to #hellostayce......So I will try to do that for you.......let's get started.

This first one is just a good basic story.  I think you can either listen to or read this one and enjoy it either way.




My Oxford Year by Julia Whelan.  American Ella Durran finally gets her dream, to study at Oxford. At 24, she’s finally made it to England on a Rhodes Scholarship plus she lands a great position in a rising political star’s presidential campaign. But, of course, she meets a boy.  But not just any boy.  A boy whose life, love and secrets will forever change her.  Honestly, this is most likely the life you would not want your college daughter to experience.  But the story grabs your heart and doesn't let go.....even in the end....it doesn't let go.  If you like things set in England you will enjoy this one all the more.  There are a few graphic scenes, but for the most part the author respects that you can adequately imagine the goings on and does not feel the need to spell out every detail.  Thank you, Ms. Whelan.  I enjoyed it tremendously.

The next one I would say definitely just read it.  There's not really anything in it that requires the drama of it being told to you as an audio book.

The Sometimes Sisters

The Sometimes Sisters by Carolyn Brown is a sweet simple predictable little story.  Every now and then you need something that is entertaining yet not emotionally taxing.This is just that.  Basically three little sisters who haven't had the best relationship are drawn back to familiar ground when a dear relative passes away.  They discover they all have secrets, they all have misunderstood each other and they need each other more than they ever thought.


Ok, there are some real suspenseful moments in this next one so I would say listen to it if you can, but you will be just as drawn in if you read it.



Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman will leave you guessing until the very end.  I liked this story but I can't tell you why because it would spoil the ending.  Let's just suffice it to say people should be smarter.  A honeymoon is interrupted when a scuba diving couple finds an interesting package, but what decisions will they make after they find it.  What decision would you make? A good suspenseful and surprised filled read.

The last book of the month could also go either way.  But first choice would be read it although I wouldn't hesitate to listen to it.


An American Marriage by Tayari Jones.....ok, I put this one in my cart.  I took it out.  I just couldn't decide if I wanted to read it or not.  Well I finally took the plunge and I am so glad I did.  When you read as many books as I do you can get to very predictable plot lines.  And it seems like one person writes a book about something and then there are 2 or 3 more that are eerily similar.  Well I have never read a book that covers this subject this way.  Now it has some tough topics.  It has some harsh language.....including some racial stuff.  But it is worth the read.  A young married couple's life changes in an instant. And let's face it....all of our lives have this turn on a dime potential.  But how they react makes you consider how you would react to such a life altering event.  

So that is it for the month. Hopefully at least one sounds good to you and you add it to your wish list, your stack, your spreadsheet....or however you keep up with good books. 

As always, let me know what you think I might enjoy next.

No comments:

Post a Comment