Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Halloween....the best I can do

This may come as a surprise to you because I truly embrace celebrating just about anything.....but Halloween is not my jam.  I don't begrudge anyone who loves it but I just don't get that into it.  Now I do enjoy seeing the little kids dressed up in fun costumes.  Note: little kids, not people who are larger than me and say trick or treat in a baritone that rivals Barry White.  Anyway, I try to make the most of it and by that I mean make a crockpot of something good.

If you actually take kids around, you definitely need to have the crockpot working for you so you can enjoy something warm and comforting when you come in.  Even though we are just home handing out candy, it is still nice to be able to do so knowing dinner is cooking on its own.  If it is not too cold and we have a steady stream of kids, we will often sit on the porch and hand out the goodies.  So when we open that door to some simmering deliciousness, it is all good.

Here are a few recipes that might interest you:

Trisha Yearwood's Chicken Tortilla Soup

Here's how I modified it for the crockpot.  Use already cooked rotisserie chicken shredded, dump all the ingredients in the crockpot except the flour, the tortilla chips, the cheese and the sour cream.  Since you are most likely putting this on after work, put it on high for about 3-4 hours.  Everything is essentially cooked already so you just need to heat it.  About an hour before you are going to eat it scoop about a cup of liquid from the pot and stir in a couple of tablespoons of flour, then add the mixture back to the crockpot to help thicken the soup.

Pioneer Woman's Spaghetti Sauce
Again, the earlier you put all this in the crockpot the better but if you only have a few hours just crank it up on high so everything can heat through.  Make sure you are paying attention to the note at the bottom of the recipe because this will make a ton of sauce.  You might want to cut it in half if you are feeding a normal number of people and not everyone on the ranch. And be mindful, Ree lives on a ranch with another whole building just to cook in, so I use this to get the basic ingredients and adapt it to us.....I don't have a whole Parmesan rind....so I just skip that step and there is super good chance that I am sprinkling in a little dried spices instead of all the fresh.

Slow-Cooker Family-Favorite Chili
Family Favorite Chili from Betty Crocker

And you know what is good to add to chili.....little smokies.  Just cut them up and let them heat in the crockpot with everything else.

Whatever you do today I hope you enjoy to the fullest.....even if it is just a warm bowl of something in front of the tv.

Talk to you on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment