Monday, April 8, 2019

March Book Review

Well this was a very successful month of reading for me.  I read four winners.  I actually loved them all!!!  This doesn't happen a lot, but I welcome it.  Not a dud in this bunch.  Pick any one of these and enjoy. Here's what I read in March.



The Masterpiece by Francine Rivers.  I love a good Francine Rivers book.  She always gets me on page one and holds me until the end.  In this one a talented artist is risking everything- his reputation, his life.  He takes in an assistant who helps him learn just how valued he is. A fantastic read.  Francine packs a lot into a book.  Get ready to settle in for this one and enjoy.  If you are already thinking of what you might read on the beach this summer, this would be a good one to get in your stack.




These is My Words by Nancy Turner.  I have said a million times thank goodness I was not born during the pioneer days.  Please, y'all, don't wait on me to blaze a new trail or set out for parts unknown.  Nope not my strength.  However, if I ever embarked on such I would have to insist on having Sarah Prine with me.  This girl was amazing.  This is written in diary form, but it really doesn't feel like it.  I loved this book.  I thought is was very entertaining. It was one of those books that I couldn't wait to get back to.....read this one.  I think you will like it.

The Midwife's Revolt

The Midwife's Revolt by Jodi Daynard.  I loved this one too.  It is historical fiction so it pulls in a lot of what we know happened in history but takes a little liberty telling it from a ficticious character who is quite lovable.  It is a further reminder of my thankfulness to not be born during this period of history.  There is love, loss, spies and some traditional family drama.  I really enjoyed this one too. It has a bit of an unexpected ending.....and I always love that.



The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck.  I found this book because Amazon recommended it for me.  Well, Amazon, you know me well.....very well.  Quite honestly if I had run across this on my own and read the summary, I am not sure I would have gravitated to it.  But I absolutely LOVED it.  It took me a chapter or so to get the right reading rythm down but once I did.....I was hooked.  These characters are so well developed.  I could absolutely describe them to a sketch artist in detail.  Essentially this is the story of one family and all of their highest highs, lowest lows and every single thing in between.  This book is so well written you can smell the smells, you can feel the fear, you can taste the food and you can literally feel the good earth.  Read this and tell me if you love it too.  There are two more in the series and I am going to have to exercise some serious self-control not to scarf them down right this very minute.

Remember friends don't let friends read bad books..... if you have read anything good, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment