Monday, April 1, 2019

Preparing for a new adventure

So.....maybe it is because I am 50.  Maybe it is because my kids are older and I feel like I have a little more time.  Maybe it is because I've lost a little weight and now feel inspired. Who knows......but here is the thing.  I have decided to train over the next year for a half marathon.  I KNOW!!!!! It is a little crazy but I feel like now is the time AND I feel like by saying it here I kinda have to go through with it or at least give it a good try.

So the first thing I did was go to Find My Marathon  This has a list of all upcoming races.  All you have to do is search by state and you can find a race near you.  I found the Rocket City Marathon which is described as a mostly flat course.....which is highly recommended for a first race.

I then did some research here on how to prepare and here is what is recommended and what I have planned to do

1) Work on 3-5 runs a week slowly building my mileage

2) Once I have built up my mileage do a long run every 7-10 days to get my body used to long distances

3) Do some speed runs at intervals to increase cardio ability

4) Rest and recovery - value the time my body needs to rest and recover between all this training

I feel like I am going to excel at number 4.  I may be best at this step.

The other important thing is finding the right shoe.  Apparently, multiple pairs will be needed as all this running shortens the life of the shoe.  So I guess this is totally unlike the Nikes I have had for 7 years that I wear about twice a year.......yep these running shoes will get worn more in one week than those get worn all year.

Luckily we live fairly close to Research Park and the loop there is almost an exact mile.....so I just need to build up to 13 quick laps......doesn't that sound doable?  It really does, I hope.

There are several running maps developed by avid runners in town.  If  you are interested, click here.

And I gotta tell you, I am very excited about the gear I will need to buy.  Runners have some cute outfits...and accessories.  That part is really exciting.  I think I will reward myself with a little running related retail item as I progress through my training.

Ok, this time next year I should be running my first half-marathon.  Maybe you'd like to join me.

So how does all of that sound?  Are you excited for me? Surprised?  Or do you already know that I am about to say April Fools......because come on.....you guys know me better than this.

I did, however, just spend an entire hour researching all of this so the links I included are real......all the rest of it is fake.

I will not be running a marathon,  half or otherwise.  I will be doing exactly what you know me for....I will be on the couch under a throw.

Be on the look out today for people trying to trick you ;)

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. It would be even more so if I actually tried to do it.... I have never understood running.

    ReplyDelete