Monday, June 10, 2019

May Book Review

Y'all, I don't want to jinx myself but I am on a bit of a good book streak.  Listen, I am relishing in it.  There have been months when I didn't love anything I read but NOT this month.  I liked them all!!!

I hope you can find one or two that you might enjoy,  I know several of you are preparing for vacations and I would say all of these are good vacay reads.

First up, one of my favorite authors



Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman.  I have enjoyed everything I have read by Fredrik....see now we are on a first name basis.  If you read A Man Called Ove, Britt-Marie was a character in that book.  You do not need to read that one to understand and enjoy this one.  They are stand alone stories but just wanted to mention that in case the name Britt-Marie sounds familiar. To be honest, I was not a fan of hers in the other book but I came to love her in this one.  She is quirky for sure.  But her heart comes through in this one.  She is faced with a downturn in her marriage which leads her to a job that she could not be less suited for.....until.....well just read it and see.  I loved this book.  It wonderfully told.  It is the kind of book that I think you could recommend to most anyone and they would enjoy it.  I hope you do!

Next up, another favorite of mine

Send Down the Rain: New from the author of The Mountains Between Us and the New York Times bestseller Where the River Ends by [Martin, Charles]



Send Down the Rain by Charles Martin. This story has all the Charles Martin trademarks.....tragic life events, heroism and love.  A man who has taken up residence in a cabin to purposefully isolate himself from the world is plunged into the world of others and the results could not have been predicted.  If you want to be reminded that good can prevail, this is the book for you.  This is one of those books that you will be begging your bestie to read so you guys can talk about it.  In fact, if you read it call me and let's talk about it.

This next one has been all over social media. My friend Stayce told me I should read it and I did.
The Silent Patient by [Michaelides, Alex]



The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides. It is suspense at its best. I did not figure out what was going on until the end.  Basically, a patient who was involved in a tragic event has not spoken a word since.  Her therapist is obsessed with getting her to talk and helping her out.  You will often wonder who is the patient and who is the therapist.  It is well told and enjoyable to read.  In fact, you can call me after you read this one too.


Lastly, I needed just a super light fun summer read so I chose
The High Tide Club: A Novel


The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews. The cover looks super light and summery, right? Well don't judge a book by its cover.....that is a real saying for a reason.  It was not suspenseful or scary but it wasn't what I would call light reading.  It had a couple of hard topics in it.  But it was covered beautifully and I enjoyed the book.  I still say it is a good summer read.  Essentially, a group of friends are reunited when they are well into their old age.  There are secrets and deceptions and all the things that come with a group of girlfriends.  I recommend this one too.....Enjoy!

Remember if you are ever looking for a good book, you can see all my book reviews by clicking on the Book label on the far right of the blog page or just click here for all the ones to date.

I hope you are reading some good stuff too.  I was gifted some very good books for my birthday so those are coming soon.

Make it a great week.  See you back here on Wednesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment