Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Recalculating and that's ok

Have you ever been using your GPS in your car and either decided not to follow the exact directions or missed a turn.....of course, it will immediately tell you RECALCULATING......It realizes something just happened that was not according to plan. It realizes there is a need to adjust the plans and seek another way. It is not that our final destination has changed.  It is just that we may need to go a little different route than we originally planned.

Some of us need to activate our life GPS.  Look, most of us have some life plans.  Most of us have a few goals we want to hit.  But here's the thing we may need to give ourselves a little flexibility on how we get there. We need to give ourselves the ok to recalculate.

I was talking with a friend the other day and they were lamenting about the pressure and stress they were feeling trying to accomplish a particular goal.  They weren't even enjoying the pursuit of the goal anymore.  They were so fixated on this possible achievement, they were sacrificing some other things that quite frankly couldn't be recouped.  We had a long conversation about accepting a change in their course, re-prioritizing, paying attention to where God was leading.

Where was I when I needed to give myself this very advice?  I'll tell you where I was.....  I was working 9 hour days, commuting over an hour a day, going home and sterilizing every single thing my children might touch, while making baby food in a blender and freezing it in ice cube trays so my sterilized children could have some pristine food.  I was literally running myself ragged.

That was a long time ago.....but I can still create some work for myself.  I am sometimes so involved in something that I don't even realize the self-induced stress.

If you've been thinking of quitting school, your job, your marriage, your whatever....please don't take this as confirmation that you should do this.  Remember, recalculating doesn't necessarily change your destination.....I am just saying pay attention to your body, your health, your family and what you are requiring of yourself.  Maybe there's a better way.  It may take more time. It may be slower to accomplish what you are going for.  Maybe it is not the shortest route.  Maybe it is not the most ideal route. But you may need to slow down and look around.  Take a breath today and allow yourself to recalculate.

See you back on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment