Monday, April 10, 2017

March Book Review


I'm just saying.........


So here is what I managed to read in March.

First up, If Only by Richard Paul Evans.


Apparently this was previously published under the title Grace so perhaps the story line might ring a bell. It is a quick easy read.  Not graphic. Clean. But as my current trend has gone, it has a pretty heavy ending. It is the story of a young boy with his own struggles trying to resolve the issues of a troubled girl at his school.  It is a good quick read.

Secondly, The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty.


I honestly thought I would not get through this book in time to review it.  I am not a fast reader but felt this one took even longer than my usual.  It is almost 500 pages and I really felt it had some small font so there were a lot of words on each page.  The story was good.  I could not guess what would happen next.  In fact, I thought I had figured out the ending but my prediction happened about 3/4 the way through.....so I knew there was a lot more to come.  Now I would classify this book as PG.  There are not blatant, in detail, you know what scenes.  But there are definitely some pre-marital relationships.  There were exactly 2 sentences that I could have done without but in the grand scheme of nearly 500 pages, I guess that is not terribly bad.  But y'all there is this one character in the book that you just continuously get surprised by - she is a hot mess! I enjoyed the story line, the characters and the ending was very satisfying.  Don' let the title fool you - It is not a love story.  Nope this is not a mushy and romantic tale.  This has a little family dysfunction, suspense and hilarity all in one.  Rather than a love story I would say it is a life story.....and I am really glad it is not mine.


And lastly, I read The Mother's Promise by Sally Hepworth.


Ok, I liked it.  I really did.  But let me just say, my kids think I am weird.  I love emotional stories.  If you like the movie Beaches, I think you will enjoy this book as much as I did.  It is not that I like sad stories.  Honestly, I really just like stories about strong females supporting one another.  It just so happens that these stories often involve the loss of someone.  Well this book has some similar traits....there's some illness, three unlikely women who are brought together through this illness, a social disorder that complicates everything and a serious twist that I did not see coming.  If you cry easily, this one could get you. Be prepared, when the brother comes on the scene he has a potty mouth but he is not a main character. So the bad language is minimal.

I am hoping April brings me a little lighter read.  If you have some suggestions, please let me know.  I have already started my first April book and well it's off to quite a start.  Come on happy ending.....I need you!

Remember to join me back here on Wednesday for the second installment of my Favorite Product Series.

Oh and in bonus book news.....check out Dolly Parton's Imagination Library.  This is a program that allows you to sign up a child who is 0-5 years old and they get mailed an age appropriate book each month for FREE!  These are all across the country so you an put in your zip code and find one in your area.  Check it out and sign up a kid today.

No comments:

Post a Comment