Monday, April 23, 2018

Craft Class - Working with Wool

You all know how much I love a good craft class.  I would totally get a doctorate in crafting if that were a thing.  Well I have taken classes at Patches and Stitches before.  Primarily quilting classes.....which by the way I still have a quilt I am working on.  I saw this class and thought it was super cute plus it was working with wool which would be totally new to me.  The class was to cover a little tape measure like this one







We selected 3 colors of wool and 3 colors of DMC threads.  These are the colors I chose


We built these little flowers
 and then added them to a larger piece of wool to be the front and back of the tape measure cover

Not only did we learn to work with wool we also learned some basic embroidery stitches like the french knot, the feather stitch and the blanket stitch

The pattern called for about 16 french knots on both the front and back.  The French knot was fighting me.....I just couldn't get the swing of it.  Plus when things start going wrong in crafting I get frustrated and extremely tempted to quit.  So I told the instructor this whole French knot thing is just not going to work for me.  She suggested I sew on a little bead in place of the knots.....and that is what I did. These are the beads I used




Once I completed the rest of my embroidery stitching I assembled and covered the tape measure.  And this is how it turned out.  I have to say I think it is quite cute.






I usually  have a tape measure in my car because you never know.  And I have one near my computer where I online shop because I need to physically see what a 10 inch x 15 inch handbag will really be like before I add it to my cart.  So I think having a cute tape measure will be even more fun.

I may make a few of these for gifts.  Let me just say if you receive one of these pieces of my handiwork you should know that I spent about 5 hours making it for you and you should cherish it for years to come........I'm just saying........this little guy is no joke.

Another craft towards my Craft Phd.......yay!

If you are crafting anything good, let me know.


Have a wonderful week.  I will talk to you on Wednesday!



No comments:

Post a Comment