Monday, April 2, 2018

Freezer Jam

I decided to give making freezer jam a spin over the weekend.  It is a much simpler and faster process than traditional jam making.  My very first Magnolia Journal issue featured Joanna sharing some freezer jam recipes.  That was about 8 months ago but it was still on my mind.  I tried out one of her recipes from the magazine but also tried out the one that comes on the pectin label.......Pectin is the secret sauce in jam making.  You buy it on the same aisle that you buy the jars.  If you peel back the label you will find all kinds of freezer jam recipes.

 It essentially involves you choosing a fruit, mashing it and mixing it with the pectin and some liquid.......simple

First up I choose strawberries

Which I mashed and mixed with lemon juice, pectin and water


Next up, I went with mango and pineapple


And I ended up with 6 pints of each


You leave them on the counter for 24 hours and then transfer them to the fridge if you are going to use them within 3 months, or the freezer where they will stay fresh for a year. If you are going with the freezer option make sure you get the jars designed for the freezer.  You fill the jars leaving about a 1/2 inch at the top to allow for expanding in the freezer.

Quite fun and very delicious.  I definitely plan on trying out some new flavors and combinations.  

No comments:

Post a Comment