Wednesday, September 11, 2019

August Book Review

It is book review day. I know some of you are happy about this and some of you are not even going to finish reading this post.  It is ok, I get it.  We all have our thing.  I gotta tell you, books are  totally my thing. I have a feeling people in airports, poolside and at the beauty shop are all thinking...why does this girl keep staring at me.....I am JUST trying to see what you are reading, people.  That is all.  I am so curious about what people are reading and if they like it and if I should read it and if I should add it to the top of my list.

Well this month I read a thought provoking book, a drama filled book and a very light hearted fun story.  So hopefully you will find one that appeals to you.

So here's what I read this month.  First up, the thought provoking book



We Hope for Better Things by Erin Bartels. This book flips back and forth between time periods. It explores the state of race relations and the impact they have on families, decisions and even future generations.  It was well written, entertaining and enjoyable.  I did not feel transformed or forever changed by it.  However, it is quite interesting how decisions ripple through generations.

Next up, the drama filled read


The Golden Hour by Beatriz Williams. This story takes place in the Bahamas as the Duke and Dutchess of Windsor are residing there.  It also goes back and forth between generations.  I had a bit of a hard time with this one.  I did not connect with any of the characters.  I didn't really love them and pull for them.  I was slightly bored with their ongoing bad decisions.  If I were at someone's home and they left this in the guest room for me to read.  I would read it.  However, I would not want to spend my own money to purchase it.  It was just ok. I'd definitely check the library and just borrow this one.

And then this little light hearted read



I Owe You One by Sophie Kinsella. This story centers around a girl who can't help but fix things.  She inserts herself to take care of a stranger's computer and he hands her an IOU.  Well they end up passing it back and forth between each other a couple of times and well  you can guess how it goes.  This book has characters I pulled for, characters I rooted against and characters I wanted to thump off the page.  It was a cute entertaining story. Probably a PG13 type story with an occassional steamy scene thrown in.

Don't keep me in suspense.  Tell me what you are reading.  I am seriously dying to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment