Monday, September 16, 2019

Favorite Cookbooks

It may come as no surprise to you that I love to read cookbooks.  Yes, I can literally curl up on the sofa and read through an entire cookbook.   Sometimes it is what I carry with me if I know I am going to have some wait time some place.  My absolute favorite cookbooks are those where just regular old people have compiled their recipes.

These books tend to be some really tried and true recipes.  The kind of recipes that have been passed on from generation to generation.  The kind of recipes that people always cook and carry to function after function.  Those are the absolute best to me.

Here is the cookbook I probably cook out of the most



Calling All Cooks two -  It is often affectionately referred to as the "red version".  It is a collection of recipes from the BellSouth telephone pioneers.  Listen, there are some great recipes in this one.  It covers everything........main dishes, soups, desserts.....you name it.  If you have ever had the Five Flavor Pound cake I often bake and carry to functions, it is from this book.  If you have never had it, invite me over and I will make it for us.  This is a great book for new and experienced cooks.  I have had it as long as I have been married and refer to it often.

Now the reason the one above is often referred to as the " red version" is because there is also a "yellow version"



It came out in 1994 and is by the same collection of telephone pioneers.  I have them both and they are both dog eared and highlighted and perhaps a bit spotted and splashed.  After all, that is the marking of a good used cookbook, right?  If it has some kitchen scars, you know you are using it.

Sticking with this same theme


2017 Church Suppers

The Paella on page 107 is worth the purchase of this cookbook alone.  But I have made several things from this book and we have been pleased with them all.  I will caution you to pay attention to how many servings is in each recipe.  Some of them make really big quantities because they are designed to take to Church suppers.  So occasionally I have to cut the recipe in half.

This is another Taste of Home Church Supper Book

2015 Church Suppers

I have cooked and cooked from it.  The recipes are short, simple to put together and turn out absolutely delicious. I probably cooked about 10 things from this one and stocked our freezer with all kinds of goodness to pull out and enjoy.  You cannot go wrong with this one.



Another favorite of mine is this



Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook and Kitchen Reader -  I probably love this one for a couple of reasons.  1) it has some good simple recipes, 2) I am reminded of sweet Mitford and its cast of characters.
Now if you haven't read the Mitford series of books, you should get on them right away, like now.  Those are still some of my favorite books of all time.  The recipes are mentioned throughout the whole book series.  This is a collection of them all in one place.

Most recently I acquired this one



Magnolia Table by Joanna Gaines.  Oh Jo Jo.....of course the book is beautiful.  We have cooked so many things from this book and they have all been good.....ALL!!! Now fair warning if you make the chicken pot pie, I personally think the amount of chicken broth has to be a misprint.  Either that or I am just an idiot.....which is totally possible.  But we had to scale back the amount to almost a third of what it calls for.  But you can tell when you are putting together.  I would say just use your judgment.  The recipes are simple and so very good.  This is another one that I think is worth owning.

I know you can look up just about every recipe in the world on line....but there is just something about having a book on the counter, making notes in the margins and passing them on from generation to generation.  Grab yourself a good cookbook, cook lots of things from it and make some great memories for you and your family.

Have a great Monday!




No comments:

Post a Comment