Monday, September 23, 2019

The First Day of Fall - Recipe

Welcome to Fall.....woo hoo.....I am so happy to see it finally get here.  I don't care what the temps say.  The calendar says it is fall now and I am a rule follower so.....welcome in Fall, my friend....welcome in!

To celebrate the first day of fall I am sharing one of my favorite soup recipes with you. I shared this with you over a year ago, but I figure you guys don't commit too much of what I say to memory so it will be like the first time all over again :)

This in one of my FAVORITE recipes, primarily because my Grandma Gracie gave it to me when I was in college.  I love that it reminds me of her.  I love that my family has grown up with it.  And we love how it tastes.


Italian Vegetable Soup
Ingredients:
2 cans Italian Style Stewed Tomatoes
1 large can Veg-All drained
2 cans Beef Broth
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup egg noodles
1/2 tsp. oregano



Brown ground beef with onion and drain.  Dump everything (except egg noodles) into a pot or a crockpot.  If cooking stovetop, allow all ingredients to come to a boil, add egg noodles and then simmer 10 minutes.  If cooking in crockpot, allow all ingredients (except egg noodles) to cook on low 6 hours, add egg noodles 30 minutes prior to serving.

This freezes well.  Also, there are several variations you can do
1) If you occasionally want a vegetarian meal, just leave out the ground beef
2) If you don't like Veg-All, just add canned veggies of your choice
3) If you don't like using canned veggies, frozen ones work just as well

Over the course of time, I have used all of these variations and never been disappointed.


Because of the oregano this soup smells so good cooking when you come home from work.  That is why I like and use the crock pot method most of the time.

I hope you and your crew enjoy a good bowl of Grandma Gracie's soup.  She'd absolutely be thrilled to know we are all still enjoying it.  She left us a legacy of good food and lots of love.

Have the best week!

No comments:

Post a Comment